research in EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Petypet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering, if you don't mind me asking, how much basic science research exists in EM? I ask because I recently attended a conference for surgery (as I did trauma-research over the summer and got published/presented), and frankly I was surprised with the amount of basic science research that was done in surgery. That got me thinking, because I am very much in the process of figuring out acute care surgery, EM, anesthesia, etc.

A simple google search of basic science research EM gives you some of the larger programs that do bench work, but how common is it at the average university level, regarding funding, publishing, etc. I ask because as I am progressing through my education, I really like research (I do have a PhD in the basic sciences), but naively until now didn't realize that bench research was common places in fields like surgery and critical care. My dream job would involve teaching, running a small lab or dabbling in research as a collaborator, and actively participating in patient care acting in a setting like acute care surgery or EM + CC. The downside to the surgery aspect of things is that you spend so much time in patient care and procedures that you have to choose more between family time/research time/teaching time, and I would think that EM or CC would afford more time away from the patient with family and a lab.

Any insight is greatly appreciated as I am a long time lurker infrequent poster. I have done some searching, and most topics on research in EM weren't really addressing the issue of running a lab in EM. I came across docB's post with the annals of EM, but that shows more what is being done, rather than addressing the professional side of it.

Members don't see this ad.

The answer is - very little bench research in EM. It is growing, but there still is very little. Most academic EM depts will have at most one basic science researcher on staff. If you want to be a researcher and can demonstrate success, you will be highly recruited as a faculty member. Common research areas for EM include sepsis, cardiac arrest, shock, resuscitation, stroke, pain, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
The answer is - very little bench research in EM. It is growing, but there still is very little. Most academic EM depts will have at most one basic science researcher on staff. If you want to be a researcher and can demonstrate success, you will be highly recruited as a faculty member. Common research areas for EM include sepsis, cardiac arrest, shock, resuscitation, stroke, pain, etc.
Very true. The ED is also fertile ground for translational research - and a big focus is on this aspect now.

Large, diverse population to pick from, with almost any disease process, and a willingness (mostly) to try new stuff.

Going from bench to bedside is coveted in academic centers; being both a researcher and a clinician has its benefits.

-d

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response, thats what I was thinking and assuming based on reading some of the few EM-based journals. A lot of pretty basic research because the field is pretty young.

If you don't mind me asking, who are some of the "bigger" names in the field that are pioneering this field?

Stephen Thom is a prominent researcher in hyperbarics and studies the effects of microparticles in various settings, particularly caissons disease. He's also the one who elucidated the long-term effects of CO poisoning.

Reactions: 1 user
Stephen Thom is a prominent researcher in hyperbarics and studies the effects of microparticles in various settings, particularly caissons disease. He's also the one who elucidated the long-term effects of CO poisoning.
Except he hasn't stopped recommending HBO for CO, even though more recent data indicates it is harmful.

HBO - a treatment searching for diseases...

Last edited: