Research in lab vs Working at a company (summer M1-M2)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rushmore4

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am in first year of medical school and am getting nervous about my plans for the summer. I honestly don't really know what field of medicine I want to go into though it likely will not be primary care and will probably be a relatively competitive field (maybe urology but obviously subject to change). I keep hearing how important doing research is in medical school and I hated my multiple research experiences in undergrad, but loved working at a pharmaceutical company in Research and Development. If I work in a lab or clinical work (nearby hospital) I will get paid a very nominal stipend guaranteed by medical school, but if I go back to that company or a related one (which I think I will be able to) I will be paid quite well. I haven't worked in 2 summers and I really want to start making some money so I don't have to keep having my parents give me money and so I can pay down some of my interest on my loan (my parents and my siblings who all work would also appreciate that too), but I'm afraid it will make me noncompetitive in the future for future fields. My parents don't understand the nature of applying to competitive residencies largely because my dad is a doc who graduated years ago when residency competitiveness wasn't really heard of. There is a good chance that I will be able to work in medical affairs like my former experience where I will be able to prepare literature reviews and do small research projects in their labs related to the company (either consumer products or pharmaceutical) but obviously not your traditional m1 to m2 summer experience.

Basically what are your thoughts on my situation and what would you do?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I obviously can't say 100% how residency directors would view this, but a few things to consider:

While research is a big thing, it sounds like you already have some under your belt. Getting in on some clinical research in 3rd year that is related to whatever field you are interested in at that time shouldn't be hard. I really doubt that what you decide to do over m1-m2 summer will be what makes or breaks you (you have step 1 and 3rd year grades to take care of that for you)

However, you will likely be applying to big academic programs for residency. It might look nice to show them that you have an interest in academia. Also realize that clinical research will probably be different than what you did in undergrad and you might find that you enjoy it more than what you did before. It coud also give you an opportunity to be exposed to diseases and topics that you will work with more in the future, and you might find more clinical things that pique your interest.

Reactions: 1 user
Summer after 1st year should be spent one of two ways: doing something that is going to further your career (research) or relaxing/traveling/having fun. That pharmaceuticals job doesn't seem to fit into either of those categories. I definitely wouldn't spend my last summer working just for the money, but that's just me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have opportunities to do research throughout the school year? Get a project or two going and get established with a mentor - that kind of longitudinal relationship + publications will be more beneficial than 10 weeks of "doing research." Is the summer project a viable one that would lead to a publication, presentation, good letters,or super useful lab skills that you'd be definitely using in the future?

If there were research opportunities during the year, I'd personally go for whatever paid better (since both would seem to give the same amount of free time...) and I liked more.

Summer after 1st year should be spent one of two ways: doing something that is going to further your career (research) or relaxing/traveling/having fun. That pharmaceuticals job doesn't seem to fit into either of those categories. I definitely wouldn't spend my last summer working just for the money, but that's just me.

Why wouldn't my experience further my career goals? I feel like real work experience in a different area of the health care sector especially if it involves literature reviews and other research like opportunities is a plus. I don't see why only bench or lab work is the only thing that is good.

Not having much money to buy gifts and always having to mooch is certainly a strong motivation for me wanting to work rather than just vacation. I live right next to the beach anyways so weekends I can always relax.

Do you have opportunities to do research throughout the school year? Get a project or two going and get established with a mentor - that kind of longitudinal relationship + publications will be more beneficial than 10 weeks of "doing research." Is the summer project a viable one that would lead to a publication, presentation, good letters,or super useful lab skills that you'd be definitely using in the future?

If there were research opportunities during the year, I'd personally go for whatever paid better (since both would seem to give the same amount of free time...) and I liked more.

There are plenty of opportunities anytime I want. It all depends on time management and what I have time for. Of course that is hard in medical school. I wish it was like the old days where you could pretty much get whatever field you want as an American grad.

I live right next to the beach anyways so weekends I can always relax.thanks
ydbSNe

Why are you copying what I said? I was responding to a comment that I should vacation. I live by the beach so I was saying I have a medium to de-stress so there is no reason to get away especially when I am in a more desperate situation to make some income right now.

There are plenty of opportunities anytime I want. It all depends on time management and what I have time for. Of course that is hard in medical school...

Yeah, it can be hard. Personally speaking, most of the students applying for uro/ent/ortho/plastics/integrated CT whom I know have done research throughout the school year (typically chart reviews and outcomes type stuff). If you don't think you'll be able to do that, perhaps the summer research would be better.

Why wouldn't my experience further my career goals? I feel like real work experience in a different area of the health care sector especially if it involves literature reviews and other research like opportunities is a plus. I don't see why only bench or lab work is the only thing that is good.

Because, while we like to preach that it's more "What you get out of it," and in an interview situation that is helpful, in real life it comes down to what was produced. Basically, publications. If you're not getting some kind of 'stamp' of approval that you were productive and got something out of it, it won't be seen that way to an academic.

So really he's saying do one of these two:

1) Fun
2) Publish

and you want

3) Money

and are masking it as a productive form of #2, which is unlikely to be seen that way in and of itself, from your description. However, you seem to already have a significant research background as it is, but I am not sure how significant it really is.

You say you're interested in urology, so why not find a PI that is doing a fair amount of research to take you under their wing? Good mentorship can be difficult to find, but if they're able and willing to bring you aboard and you can get research experience and publications, posters, etc. then that's what I would do instead of going to work for a pharmaceutical company doing God knows what.

I hate asking my parents for money too, but now is not the time to be overly concerned with paying them (and The Man) back at the expense of other opportunities that will further your career. There will be a time in the near future where you can start to pay them back, but make the best of opportunities now so you can work toward your career goals.

Finding a PI that will mentor you and get you on some projects now will accomplish this and allow you to establish a strong and productive relationship for years to come, not just for this summer and throughout M2.

Best of luck in your search.