Research in Masters w/o thesis & Research assistant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IAmTetris

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I had 2 questions:
1) What's the difference between the quality of the research experience for pursuing a research assistant full time job vs Masters without thesis during the gap year? I realize the Masters without thesis emphasizes coursework, but I'm ready to apply to medical school during the upcoming cycle so I would need to finish the degree over the next year.

For the Masters without thesis, are PIs & mentors still focused on developing the research skills of students who are there for the Masters without thesis degree? Do the responsibilities of a PI include mentoring and making sure that Masters without thesis degree students are learning how to conduct research? It seems like with the research assistant job, my education would be secondary to running the experiments of someone else since I would be paid to do so. Also, research isn't my sole reason for acquiring the degree. I have other reasons as well. But I am still interested in pursuing some sort of research during my time off.

2) What sort of research do students in the Masters without thesis do? I know that most of these programs will still have some sort of research requirement. But what exactly does that involve? It's hard to conduct experiments within 1 year (the length of most of these programs), so I'm not exactly sure what is expected in terms of research.

Members don't see this ad.