Research in medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sketcha

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have seen this question asked before but couldn't find any strong answers one way or the other. My question is simple;

When applying for ENT from residency, does anyone know if ENT PD's value Bench research over clinical research? Or visa versa?

I have seen people suggest that a strong publication in bench research is more valued than clinical research publications, but is it worth pursuing bench research if the chances of publication are much slimmer than in clinical research?

Members don't see this ad.

Everything in your post is correct, from what I've seen and heard (YMMV). If you have 3 years, it may be worth pursuing bench research. I personally do not like wet work and also did not know if I would have time to see a project to completion, so I did clinical research. The unfortunate truth is that you have to publish, and it is much, much easier to publish in clinical research and has the plus of being published in specialty journals (laryngoscope, the white journal) which your bigwigs will be reading.

Everything in your post is correct, from what I've seen and heard (YMMV). If you have 3 years, it may be worth pursuing bench research. I personally do not like wet work and also did not know if I would have time to see a project to completion, so I did clinical research. The unfortunate truth is that you have to publish, and it is much, much easier to publish in clinical research and has the plus of being published in specialty journals (laryngoscope, the white journal) which your bigwigs will be reading.

thanks for the confirmation!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am trying to get some research in the oto department and I'm wondering if the project I was offered is "ENT enough" to be interesting to ENT PDs. I was originally going to work on something with cochlear implant patients, but the project I was offered is more on the audiology side of things -- new ways of detecting and measuring hearing loss. It has some relevancy for determining eligibility for a cochlear implant but it's really about psychoacoustic testing, not any therapies or interventions. Is that still worth pursuing or is it too tangential to count as ENT research?

Is that still worth pursuing or is it too tangential to count as ENT research?

Definitely counts as ENT research.

Make sure your mentor for the project (who will write one of your LORs) is an ENT attending, not an audiologist. If this can't be done, find another project.

Definitely counts as ENT research.

Make sure your mentor for the project (who will write one of your LORs) is an ENT attending, not an audiologist. If this can't be done, find another project.

That's good news because it actually is an interesting project. The lab is run by an ENT attending but this project is mostly run by a PhD scientist in his lab. I'm pretty sure I would have enough contact to get a LOR from the attending but I will look for a tactful way to confirm that before I commit. Thanks for the advice!