Research in undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorold

By all means necessary
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you interested in doing research in med school, say between M1 and M2, do you have to have research experience from undergrad?
I'm not planning to do research in undergrad, but I hear that if you are aiming for a competitive residency you need to do research in med school.
So, should I consider doing research in undergrad, just in case I decide to do research in med school ?

Members don't see this ad.

If you interested in doing research in med school, say between M1 and M2, do you have to have research experience from undergrad?
I'm not planning to do research in undergrad, but I hear that if you are aiming for a competitive residency you need to do research in med school.
So, should I consider doing research in undergrad, just in case I decide to do research in med school ?
1) If you enjoy it, then sure do research in both undergrad and med school.

2) Yes, there are people who have done research in med school without having done research in undergrad. It depends on what kind of research you're doing. But many researchers are glad to have free labor. Just show some interest and willingness to learn.

3) But keep in mind there are lots of people who match into various fields with zero research in undergrad or med school.

4) True, research can help in competitive residencies. But there are a lot of other factors in play as well.

5) I wouldn't worry about which specialty you're interested in if you're not even in med school yet. You'll likely change your mind once you reach med school.

Reactions: 1 user