research interests on AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wutwutwut

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
so I looked to see if there is a thread on this, but I didn't see one.... (let me know if I missed it though)

I am applying for a bunch of MD/PhD programs this year, and I have a question about what I should designate for "combined degree areas." So I am a chemistry major and most of my research has been in chemistry, which I really enjoyed, but I have recently become very interested in infectious diseases so I think I want to do my PhD in microbiology. In part because I wanted to do basic science research that would more closely relate to a potential specialty I would enjoy, and also I think infectious diseases are super interesting. However, I have not yet taken microbiology (I take it in the fall).

I had originally selected microbiology for "combined degree area" for all of the schools, but would it look weird to want to do a PhD in something that I have not done any research in or taken a class in, even though I am really interested by it? Because I kind of feel like it would, sadly. Should I select chemistry instead, or both? Because I know it is not binding, but I just was not sure if it would look bad or something to select two possible areas of interest. Also, I was thinking since many schools have you interview with some people in the field you specify, according to their websites, I was not sure if it would be better to choose a field I know more about.

Members don't see this ad.

Also, I was thinking since many schools have you interview with some people in the field you specify, according to their websites, I was not sure if it would be better to choose a field I know more about.
They ask you for a list of names pre-interview. You meet with the people that you pick.

n=1, but I am going to do my PhD in a completely different field than my undergrad research (and was open about that on my application). Make sure you have a reason for switching and can explain your reasoning well during interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
I switched my research focus between UG and my MSc and again for my PhD. My interests kept evolving but I made clear how I could utilize the skills I'd gained from each stage to help me in my research endeavors. Now I'm working in a pretty cool hybrid lab where I get to use quite a bit of my expertise.

Reactions: 1 user