Research Lab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TripleHBK

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm currently taking finals and have officially completed my first year as an undergrad student! Woohoo!!

I started research in a structural biology lab around March without any prior research experience. The only labs I have completed are Gen Chem 1 and Gen Chem 2 labs. The reason I'm writing this is because I feel like I'm not contributing enough to the lab. I don't have prior experience working in a lab, and I end up not doing much. I'm still trying to learn the protocol and get acquainted to all the projects. Do you guys have any helpful tips? Advice?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Just show that you are interested. Read papers on pubmed related to the project you're working on (and the ones given to you by whoever is mentoring you in the lab). Learn about the science behind the technique (ie why does ethidium bromide allow us to visualize DNA under UV light, etc)... It'll help in the long run.

Once you start grasping your project, start proposing side projects related to that project (ie We found this result using this antibody, so what if we try using the antibody used in this paper?)

You gotta read more papers. Ask your PI for any papers he recommend and then you start from there. Read all the reference papers that the paper you're reading has and also read any papers or reviews that uses that paper as a reference

Also make sure once you are done with what you are assigned or find yourself walking around aimlessly through the lab doing nothing ask what they'd like you to do. My former PI didn't ever give us extra projects unless we asked because she thought that we were busy with school or something and wanted only to do our assigned things.