research mentor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yjj8817

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a freshman premed looking for a research mentor for research during spring semester. I have emailed several research professors (all MD PhDs) and they all said OK for spring semester. I am considering two

1) knows a lot about HHMI science for life program (really good research program) since he did grant and stuff, has a lot of knowledge about many other research programs that are beneficial to medical school admission, told me to take biochem from college of medicine so that I can get recommendation from the college of medicine professor etc. but already has like 6 undergrad students in his lab.

2) not as much knowledge about sci for life program but still good research lab. currently 3 undergrad students not including me

Does the number of undergrad students in the research lab matter? I was thinking that if there are too many people, I would not be able to get first or second author publication for any research articles. Is getting first or second author publication for research a big deal for medical school admission?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

What are the respective labs researching in?

You are about to put 4 years of your blood/sweat/tears into this lab. Shouldn't you be thinking about what you will enjoy?

BTW, if you don't like what you are doing, your unlikely to ever get a first authorship.

id take the one with less students. i was in a lab that had a lot of undergrads and it was manageable only because we had a lot of post docs as well to do the mentoring.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are the respective labs researching in?

You are about to put 4 years of your blood/sweat/tears into this lab. Shouldn't you be thinking about what you will enjoy?

BTW, if you don't like what you are doing, your unlikely to ever get a first authorship.

They are both biochemistry. Number one is researching regulation of actin polymerization in cell motility and number 2 is researching regenerative medicine and stem cell stuff. I like what number 2 is researching in more so I guess I should go with the one I like even if number one seems to know a lot about medical school admission?

Looks like you're leaning towards number 2. His stuff sounds more interesting, anyway. With a small lab you'll likely be able to form a better relationship with this mentor, which can lead to a strong LOR and possibly a publication or two. Plus you won't have to take a biochem class just for the sake of joining a lab :rolleyes:

Med schools do like publications, but being 1st or 2nd is rather rare for an undergrad. Not having one will def NOT hurt your chances, as opposed to working in a lab for a few years and not having the ability to talk about what you did (such as during an interview).

Looks like you're leaning towards number 2. His stuff sounds more interesting, anyway. With a small lab you'll likely be able to form a better relationship with this mentor, which can lead to a strong LOR and possibly a publication or two. Plus you won't have to take a biochem class just for the sake of joining a lab :rolleyes:

Med schools do like publications, but being 1st or 2nd is rather rare for an undergrad. Not having one will def NOT hurt your chances, as opposed to working in a lab for a few years and not having the ability to talk about what you did (such as during an interview).

What he said.

Medicine isn't a destination but a journey... find ways to enjoy the trip as much as possible.