Research methods in Psychology/Sociology high yield?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Satire5Texul

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A couple of these classes are an option next semester.

Are these high yield for the new MCAT ? or should I take a more broad general type of class that focuses on issues and other topics ?

What type of sociology/psychology class would you recommend ?

I took intro to sociology. Have psychology coursework done. But nothing research specific (more anatomy).

Members don't see this ad.

A couple of these classes are an option next semester.

Are these high yield for the new MCAT ? or should I take a more broad general type of class that focuses on issues and other topics ?

What type of sociology/psychology class would you recommend ?

I took intro to sociology. Have psychology coursework done. But nothing research specific (more anatomy).

Research methods is going to be helpful. A first year intro to psyc and sociology is all you need.

I had no background whatsoever in this section and I managed to do really well by self-studying so while these courses can really help you, they are not absolutely required, so also consider your schedule/difficulty of courses/your interests, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
The AAMC has not gone very deep into research methods, although they have asked quiet a few questions requiring the application of the basics. The coverage would be WAY LESS than what you would cover in an entire class dedicated just to research methods. The common topics/skills include things like: dependent vs. independent variables, controls (including positive and negative), reliability vs. accuracy, statistical significance (or lack thereof) of experimental findings, factors which impact the validity of a study (often phrased as a stem such as: "A potential weakness in the design of the cortisol study discussed in the passage is...). Rather closely related to this, but not likely to be overtly discussed in texts about research methods are questions about "Why the researchers did "x" or "y" in the experiment." This ability comes more from a general conceptual understanding of why a given lab procedure does what it does, or from the ability to reason logically as to what the experimenters are trying to determine/clarify/disprove by setting up an experiment in a certain way. One of the AAMC blueprints we have identified asks the student to suggest an experimental design or trial, something like: "An effective way to demonstrate that the increase in dopamine levels is due to the drug itself and not the patient's natural dopamine producton pathways would be to..")

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you both !

I just heard good things from Altius from a friend who increased score from 502 to 512 in a matter of a second month retake.

Greatly appreciate both of your advice.

I will forgo this class then and try to take something more broad that will get me thinking in a general sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is funny to hear. I was just posting today on another forum about the fact that retakes can result in large score increases if done correctly--despite what the intimidating AAMC data would suggest. That nice 10 point increase adds a little anecdotal support to this idea. That wasn't my student, but I'm sure his or her Altius tutor gave similar mentoring on how to make a retake work. Lot's of retakes do result in the same or lower score, so you have to know what you are doing.

Reactions: 1 user
Most def. I imagine most retakes dont get to the core of the program. And stay hopeful for better passages. It would be interesting to compile data on what happened between these retakes.
The person I spoke to specified that they didnt do enough practice exams/questions, too much content review.
Second time around was all exam practice, coming from Altius.
Which confirmed what exactly I will be doing and what resources to use.