Research necessary for path?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mek117

TympanicPlexus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've only just been accepted into school so I have a ways to go, but...

I'm considering pathology down the road, but my school has supposedly zero research opportunities. However, I will have worked in pathology (ASCP certified) for 4yrs, and prior to that earned my masters and did research w an oncology prof (defended thesis, but never published). I also defended an undergrad thesis, but that also wasn't published.

Basically I'm wondering how screwed I am considering no research opportunities in med school?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm considering pathology down the road, but my school has supposedly zero research opportunities. However, I will have worked in pathology (ASCP certified) for 4yrs, and prior to that earned my masters and did research w an oncology prof (defended thesis, but never published). I also defended an undergrad thesis, but that also wasn't published.

Basically I'm wondering how screwed I am considering no research opportunities in med school?
NRMP charting outcomes in the match- 2014: enjoy.

Members don't see this ad :)

I don't think you are screwed but with the caveat that the job market in that field is tight and so anything you can do to distinguish yourself, research or otherwise, would not be a bad idea. There's no such thing as no research opportunities. If there are patients/specimens there are things you can study. You might have more trouble doing bench work or fining a good mentor, but the ability to do clinical research always exists. There are also ways of finding opportunities outside of a med school, but you'll need to be proactive, apply for outside research programs (NIH, etc), and network with potential collaborators at meetings.

Reactions: 1 user

Do research at a nearby MD school if it's something you want to do. Alternatively, seek out a project for the summer after first year anywhere you'd like. Tons of med students do this, it's not a unique nor limiting situation. You can continue it through 2nd year.

If you do find some opportunities, don't get sucked into something that isn't going to yield pubs.

Reactions: 1 users