Research or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FCMike11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Small background, ICU RN here and i have had to work full time throughout all of my pre reqs (work Thursday-sunday 7p-7a, class monday-friday). I havent had the time quite frankly to participate in all the clubs other pre meds have nor time for research. These coming up semesters (submitting application next cycle) I have an opportunity to do undergrad research for a duration of 2 semesters.

At the same time im trying hard to get my volunteering up and will be going as a tutor to the local boys and girls club. This extra research would strain me as ill be going full time to finish my degree.

My question finally is the extra strain in research worth the hassle and possible detriment to my grades (also simultaneously raising volunteer hours)?

Hope this was clear and I really appreciate any responses.

Members don't see this ad.

At the same time im trying hard to get my volunteering up and will be going as a tutor to the local boys and girls club. This extra research would strain me as ill be going full time to finish my degree.

My question finally is the extra strain in research worth the hassle and possible detriment to my grades (also simultaneously raising volunteer hours)?

NOTHING is worth any sacrifice to your grades (and mcat score). If this is the case, don't do it. If anything cut back on volunteer hours or don't do research.

NOTHING is worth any sacrifice to your grades (and mcat score). If this is the case, don't do it. If anything cut back on volunteer hours or don't do research.

Good advice from both of you guys. Im just concerned my application is somewhat bare compared to that of other applicants in regards to the ECs (birth of my son, + full time work and part time school and tutoring my dyslexic sister ive literally had time for nothing else). Ill pick up something 50-70 hours this year, but will that be enough?

I should have adequate LORs from physicians ive worked with and know personally, and from 2 science professors. Im debating on whether or not I should include my boss for a LOR, or my previous nursing school administrator (im still in very good standing with them and remain in frequent contact).

Long story short, will my application have enough?