Research or Veterinary Experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pirateyoho

Mizzou c/o 2019
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I completed a summer internship that basically involved me working with a veterinary epidemiologist on one of her research projects. She worked with us extensively, and the field work included interacting with animals under her supervision. So would I place this experience under veterinary or research? I should note that while I did gain extensive research experience from it (e.g., field work, reading scientific journals, analyzing collected samples in a lab), there was no published finished project by the end of it.

Members don't see this ad.

I spent a bunch of time working with a vet on a salmonella project, but it was all in the lab so I put it all under research. I've heard different things on this, but if you were actually interacting with animals while doing field work, I would suggest dividing up your hours and listing in each section (don't double count any hours though!). So estimate your field work hours with the vet where you were actually interacting with animals and put that under veterinary experience, then take the rest of your hours and put it under research and describe the analysis/non animal portion of your work.

I would suggest dividing up your hours and listing in each section (don't double count any hours though!). So estimate your field work hours with the vet where you were actually interacting with animals and put that under veterinary experience, then take the rest of your hours and put it under research and describe the analysis/non animal portion of your work.

I wasn't aware we were allowed to do this on our application. So I can list different parts of the same internship on different parts of my application, as long as I don't double-count the hours?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's exactly what I did. I listed the animal care I did while supervised by a vet (giving IVs, forming treatment plans, administering experiment treatment, etc) as vet experience. The hours I spent collecting data, or being in the lab I listed as research

I wasn't aware we were allowed to do this on our application. So I can list different parts of the same internship on different parts of my application, as long as I don't double-count the hours?

I've heard of people who have done that in the past, and as far as I can see, it seems reasonable as long as you don't double count your hours. After all, research projects can entail very different responsibilities with crossover into research & vet experience as vmcas defines them, so dividing up hours is often a good idea, so long as you can describe your responsibilities in both sides and have it be justifiable to be in each particular category.