research paper acknowledgement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cure0008

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have worked in a lab for a year (last year)- 12h/w. I was working with the professor on a project; a few months ago he e-mailed me telling me he wrote my name in the acknowledgements for the project.

I was wondering should I put this on the AMCAS app? Should I put it separately or when listing that I worked in his lab, should I just briefly mention the acknowledgement on the paper?
How will adcoms this?

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I have worked in a lab for a year (last year)- 12h/w. I was working with the professor on a project; a few months ago he e-mailed me telling me he wrote my name in the acknowledgements for the project.

I was wondering should I put this on the AMCAS app? Should I put it separately or when listing that I worked in his lab, should I just briefly mention the acknowledgement on the paper?
How will adcoms this?

Thanks!!!

At most that goes as a brie statement when describing your research, e.g., "...for which I was acknowledged in a recent publication." This certainly does not qualify as a publication with your name on it, the experience is the most important part in your case.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't put it separately. An acknowledgment isn't major enough. Like the above poster said, just mention the type of work you did and how you contributed to work in the lab etc. Acknowledgment in a separate category makes it seem that you're hurting for space and that you want to fill things up.

I was in your position last year with a bunch of acknowledgments, and wanting to put it in to make it seem like I contributed to lab work, cause otherwise it would have just been describing my study.

Thank-you for all the responses!!

I just have one more question:
How will adcoms see this- having your name on the acknowledgements compared to having your name on the publication?

I concur. Not big enough to get an independent mention.

Do as suggested above: List your year of research and include something like: "... part of the data I generated was used in a peer-reviewed article in such and such journal..." that way it serves the very important function of attesting to the high quality of the data you produced, making the experience more valuable.

PS. Your name on the paper is what you really want, but not many people get to do that. Acknowledgement is next. It won't wow AdComs, but it will certainly show that you were not just doing glassware in the lab. Your work had enough quality to be used in a publication!