Research prior to Post-bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kusin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How difficult is it to get a paid/volunteer research position prior to attending a post-bac program? From my research, most require some experience in the sciences during your undergrad time.

Assuming that most people yet to attend a post-bac can't get a research position, what is the best way to improve the resume for post-bac applications?

Members don't see this ad.

That seems like a broad statement. I was a Fine Arts major prior to doing my post-bacc. The whole point of a post-bacc is to take the core medical science prereqs. If you want to gain some experience to boost your applicant, do clinical volunteering. That's far more applicable.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't forget rolling up your sleeves and doing some volunteering and finding some docs to shadow - especially if you intend to apply to DO schools as they will require a LOR from at least one. In general, the barrier is much lower (although not non-existent) to doing such things, and they have convinced more than a few starry-eyed dreamers that they should maybe think about doing something else instead. So, all-in-all I feel it is time well-spent.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That seems like a broad statement. I was a Fine Arts major prior to doing my post-bacc. The whole point of a post-bacc is to take the core medical science prereqs. If you want to gain some experience to boost your applicant, do clinical volunteering. That's far more applicable.

Hey! I'm beginning the post bac application process for entering 2018, also fine arts background. Some of my experience is art therapy related... not exactly hospital clinical. What kind of experience did you have on your app since you also didn't do research?

I'm also thinking of taking a lab course over the summer at a community college to show I can succeed in a lab class- do you have any advice on that?

Thanks!