Research Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Friendly Fox

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all !

How would research in a field like ecology or microbio (unrelated to medicine) be seen in comparison to research directly related to medicine ?

In other words should the focus of any research I am involved in be medically related, or am I free to explore whatever piques my interest ?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all !

How would research in a field like ecology or microbio (unrelated to medicine) be seen in comparison to research directly related to medicine ?

In other words should the focus of any research I am involved in be medically related, or am I free to explore whatever piques my interest ?
Anything is fine as others have said.
It doesn't even have to be relevant to human diseases. So long as you learn how to critically appraise literature, create basic research designs, learn how to analyze/interpret data, etc.... any research is fine. Because all of those things will help you become an excellent clinician, ya know?

Besides, ecology and microbio are pretty relevant to the medical field.

Reactions: 1 user
Have you looked into immunology? I loved it.

It is a big time urban legend amongst naive pre-meds that all research has to somehow be related to medicine.

It doesn't.

As long as you're learning something about the scientific method, it doesn't matter whether you study oncogenes, or the biology of clams in Fiji.

Do what you love and love what you do.

Hello all !