Research Requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kreno

Candy Man
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which fields usually require a good degree of research while in medical school in order to be a competitive applicant? Also, what KIND of research is looked down/up upon for fields like, say, surgery. For example, I'll be at yale next year but i'm really interested in doing a social/touchy-feely type of research thesis - but I know I wanna be a surgeon.... bad combo maybe?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by kreno
Which fields usually require a good degree of research while in medical school in order to be a competitive applicant? Also, what KIND of research is looked down/up upon for fields like, say, surgery. For example, I'll be at yale next year but i'm really interested in doing a social/touchy-feely type of research thesis - but I know I wanna be a surgeon.... bad combo maybe?

No field requires research in order to obtain a residency.

However, having done research usually makes you mor competitive when applying to the more competitive fields (ENT, radiology, orthopedics, urology, ophthalmology, and dermatology).

I don't know what type of research is "looked down upon" by certain fields. I would think any effort to get yourself familiar with the process of research would be beneficial. If you do research on drug A v. drug B in the treatment of psychosis, it may not help you get into surgery, but it probably won't hurt you.

As far as touchy-feely research goes, if you feel uncomfortable doing it related to your application, don't do it.