Research Volunteer position -what category?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentathlete5

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting a volunteer position soon in the emergency department at a local university hospital. To the best of my current knowledge, it involves shadowing physicians/residents/nurses for 8hrs per week, gathering data and identifying patients who qualify for ongoing research projects, and meeting with those patients to discuss willingness to participate.

Is this considered clinical experience? Or should I list it under shadowing, or volunteering? Research is also an option but since I'm not directly conducting the research (just recruiting participants) I'm thinking that's not the most appropriate category.

Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Studentathlete5, I'd classify it as whatever area you are least strong on your application. Unless AMCAS has changed drastically, you can only assign an EC to one category at a time. By the time you're applying, you should have a feel for the area that you are not as strong in compared to the others and so you want to fit this EC into that category. That being said, this sounds like an awesome activity!

I have a youtube video that talks a little bit more about this:

Hit me up if you have any further questions.

Utenation, thank you for your response! Helpful YouTube video :)

The two categories I'm weakest in is clinical experience/patient exposure and research. Would this position be appropriate for either of these options? I suppose I'll have a better idea once I actually start it, but I wanted to start planning ahead as I'll be applying soon.

Also, I was an intern at a school for developmentally delayed students for 12 weeks. The students in my classroom were young adult men with very severe developmental disabilities and medical concerns. I know this isn't medical/clinical experience or patient care, but it was impactful. Any suggestions on what to list this internship as?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response, I'll likely use the new position as clinical experience so long as once I begin the position, I still feel it would be appropriate to do so. From what I know now, it is patient interaction in a healthcare setting so that's good.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on what to list the internship as.. it was in a classroom setting, not medical, but the students each had plenty of medical concerns. It wasn't me teaching the students so much as it was me caring for their basic needs and learning to communicate with them (nonverbal)

Thanks for the response, I'll likely use the new position as clinical experience so long as once I begin the position, I still feel it would be appropriate to do so. From what I know now, it is patient interaction in a healthcare setting so that's good.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on what to list the internship as.. it was in a classroom setting, not medical, but the students each had plenty of medical concerns. It wasn't me teaching the students so much as it was me caring for their basic needs and learning to communicate with them (nonverbal)

A multifactorial experience like an Internship, that is not Employment or Volunteer, might fit best under the Other category. The name you give the space can suggest the components you most want to emphasize.

Reactions: 2 users