Research vs clinical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redbird1133

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide what to do on my year off next year. I've spent the last two summer doing research, and I've been offered a job for my year off in the lab. However, I also have an EMT certification but haven't really had too much clinical experience other than actually receiving the certification and my original plan was to work as an EMT. What do you think would look better for a year off: a year of research or a year of EMT?

Members don't see this ad.

Just getting an EMT cert means absolutely nothing to med schools if you don't do anything with it. If you don't have much clinical experience, the choice is obvious. You need clinical experience, and you already have research experience. Go with clinical experience.

Is doing both off of the table? A paid research job + continuing in your lab sounds like a pretty good gig, but an EMT cert without any actual experience is meaningless. If you don't have much clinical, I would focus on the EMT work, as you already have two summers of solid research (based on the fact that your PI offered you a job).

That was my instinct too, just wanted to get another opinion, thanks!