Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
N

NP545

Would you prefer doing research over the summer full time (30-35 hrs/week) or doing research during the semester (5 hrs/week) when you're taking organic chem, physics, and three other classes ?

Members don't see this ad.

How the hell did you know that I was taking ochem, physics, and 3 other classes?? o_O

What is this? 20 questions?

Would you prefer doing research over the summer full time (30-35 hrs/week) or doing research during the semester (5 hrs/week) when you're taking organic chem, physics, and three other classes ?
Why not both? I liked full time more because I got results much more quickly (an experiment that might take a week during the semester can often be done in a couple days working full time).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
To elaborate....

I am not a big fan of research, so I have no strong interest in either, but need to pick one.
Here are some more details about each

SUMMER
-30-35 hrs/week (total of ~300 hours by end of summer)
-No recommendation letter
-Will be able to shadow during fall semester

DURING SEMESTER

-Need to research at least 5 hours/week
-Will be taken along with organic chem honors, physics, 2 labs, 2 upper level psych courses
-Also, need to volunteer 4 hours per week at hospital during semester
-Have another part time job at night
-Recommendation letter
-$1000 stipend

If you had to pick one, which would you choose or recommend for someone with minimal interest in research?

I am not a big fan of research, so I have no strong interest in either, but need to pick one.

-$1000 stipend
401742530-obama-cash.gif

To elaborate....

Here are some more details about each

SUMMER
-30-35 hrs/week (total of ~300 hours by end of summer)
-No recommendation letter
-Will be able to shadow during fall semester
DURING SEMESTER
-Need to research at least 5 hours/week
-Will be taken along with organic chem honors, physics, 2 labs, 2 upper level psych courses
-Also, need to volunteer 4 hours per week at hospital during semester
-Have another part time job at night
-Recommendation letter
-$1000 stipend

If you had to pick one, which would you choose or recommend for someone with minimal interest in research?
Huh? How do you know this ahead of time?

OP, if you are going to do either do the one during school. All other considerations aside its not good to lead an investigator on, letting them think you will be there for longer than you actually plan to. They may make plans based on how long they think you will be in their lab, and may be seriously in a pickle if you leave before they expect.

Reactions: 1 user