Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

natg101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important is research when it comes to residency?

Is it almost required at this point?

Personally I have no idea what field I'm interested in but have little interest in research. My plan was to just focus on grades and getting adjusted first year.

Will there be enough time later for research if I need it?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't want to do something then don't do it

Reactions: 2 users
From what most people have hinted on the forums, doing research is not mandatory, but you may want to consider it based on the specialty you're aiming for. Doing research typically makes you 'more' competitive for residency programs. Obviously, the more competitive the field you're aiming for, then the greater weight research can carry (in addition to having strong grades, solid step 1, letters and so on). But it comes down to quality over quantity, when it comes to research projects.

Members don't see this ad :)
How important is research when it comes to residency?

Is it almost required at this point?

Personally I have no idea what field I'm interested in but have little interest in research. My plan was to just focus on grades and getting adjusted first year.

Will there be enough time later for research if I need it?

Thanks!

Your plan to focus on grades and adjusting to med school is a good one. You could try a short research stint summer after MS1 - if you like it, continue and see if you can produce something publishable. If you hate it, no harm no foul, just stop doing it and focus on things you enjoy more. I will say that I think in general residency programs like to see you do a little bit of research (of course depending on the program you are going for they may want to see more than just a little). Feel out first year then go from there...no rush on the research front.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Have any of you had to get LORs from med school professors for research positions between M1 and M2? I'm thinking of applying for a paid research position for the summer, but I need 2 LORs one from an academic professor and one from someone familiar with my professional work. We have classes in 8 week blocks, there is no way you can get to know someone good enough in 8 weeks for them to write you an LOR. Plus the way I got LORs in undergrad was by being a stand out student, with all the brain power around here I'm not really a stand out so what can I do?