RESEARCH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OSUkid

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Desperate is a good word.

HOW??? DO I got about research. Man I apply for research jobs, I email researchers, but no luck. Man I want to research, not for the medical application, but for RESEARCH!!.

On a serious note, how does one go about finding research. My school is huge, and very close to saturated and every research opportunity that is e-mailed to me, you can bet suzy or billy already emailed the researcher back within the minute they received the email.
Help?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user

HOW??? DO I got about research. Man I apply for research jobs, I email researchers, but no luck. Man I want to research, not for the medical application, but for RESEARCH!!.

On a serious note, how does one go about finding research. My school is huge, and very close to saturated and every research opportunity that is e-mailed to me, you can bet suzy or billy already emailed the researcher back within the minute they received the email.
Help?

Emailing won't work. Find professors who do research and talk to them about what they are doing and whether there are any projects you can help them with.

Reactions: 1 users

Help?

Developing relationships with your professors and perhaps TA's in labs/classes who can vouch for you will help significantly.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can't really do it through email. They might not recognize your name. Go hang out around the labs and let them get to know you.

Aim for classes that are led by professors that have research labs, do phenomenally in their classes, ask insightful questions, ask for research positions at the end of the course. This is what worked for most people I know

Does your school have an undergraduate research website, or something similar? Mine had a website where professors and PIs would post information about their research projects and then students could apply to their projects through the site, or at least get contact information for researchers who were actively looking for student help. Otherwise, I would recommend what others have... try to make in-person contact.

Be genuinely interested in a professor's research topic. Go ask lots of questions in office hours. Ask if you can help with research. Don't expect to be paid.

My microbiology professor recommended me to the researchers in her department after I did well in her class. It was grunt work at first, but as they saw potential they let me take on more and more projects independently. Fast forward 4 years, and I have lots of strings within and outside the department that I can pull to help other people find positions that match their interests. It's based on who you already know and who can recommend you.

Do you have past experiences in anything you could use to your advantage?

For example, perhaps you have volunteering experience with Asian Americans. You would be an excellent candidate for public health research in Asian-American populations with a professor. To be honest, just keep trying - it's a lot easier if you find PI who are in need of volunteers instead of just cold calling (although cold calling is another strategy as well).

This is the part where you have to say "so what's up with getting research???"! I was looking for it in the post!

I agree with what some of the others said. Directly talking to people is the best way to get things done.