Researching/Shadowing in the summer vs…Building a website

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tyrtuga

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I have intentions to make a website but I really can't just do it as a side project. I need time to devote to it, and I can't find that time during the school year when I'm taking 18 credits of courses. I have the opportunity this summer to devote to it, but I also want to shadow or research. However, I will be researching for course credit next semester anyway so does it really matter if I don't research in the summer?

What do you guys think I should do? Is it worth taking the summer of no strictly health oriented activity to do this? Or should I put it off so I can get ahead and shadow?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
"Making a website" is a pretty vague endeavor. I'm assuming you have a better idea of what you're going to do than that. Why can't you do this project and get some clinical experience? A few hours a week of shadowing/volunteering/whatever should certainly be doable even if you're "making a website" full-time.

What year are you in? Indeed, as @NickNaylor said, just commit a half-day per week shadowing or volunteering and it'll mean something. No reason not to do your pet project as well as better your medical school resume.

If it truly is one or the other, then... I would personally forget the "website" to volunteer/shadow/research.

Shadowing/research will help more. However, there is no reason you can't balance both.