Reserve Physician in army

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rikab

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I am an international physician practicing with full physician license in Usa.

I recently met a physician recruiter who offered to enlist me as a reserve physician.Doled out citizenship as an incentive.
This he said is possible because of the Mavni scheme which allows non citizens to enlist with citizenship.

I am just wondering what the cons of this are.? I am happy with my work as a hospital employed physician.

I would be ok to back fill for another physician anywhere in Usa. However deployment overseas is not something I would savor.

I am requesting some helpful advise from people who know the system well.Appreciate your help.

Members don't see this ad.

As you've described it, you're being duped. Being a military physician - reserve or otherwise - means being a commissioned officer, and being an officer means being a U.S. citizen. Being enlisted can certainly help become a citizen, but you won't be practicing medicine or necessarily having anything to do with healthcare in that role.

I would be ok to back fill for another physician anywhere in Usa. However deployment overseas is not something I would savor.

I missed this initially, but it's a huge red flag. You need to run, not walk, away from the military if this is your attitude.

Members don't see this ad :)
The MAVNI program will lead to you commissioning as an Officer and therefore practicing in your field. The program does have you initially enlist in the reserve while the naturalization process goes on, typically 3-4 months.

Do not enlist. Physicians in the Army/Navy/Air Force are officers(, not enlistee... there is a huge difference). DO NOT ENLIST. If the recruiter is telling you otherwise he is lying.

Plus, you would deploy oversees at some point. Virtually guaranteed.

I missed this initially, but it's a huge red flag. You need to run, not walk, away from the military if this is your attitude.

While, I also agree that if there is no desire to serve overseas, then this is a huge red flag.

However, MAVNI is a real program and has been around like 2007 (I think?).
Targets IMGs who have completed a residency in the US and are fully licensed.
http://www.ecfmg.org/echo/mavni.html

I'll admit I've learned something, as I didn't know about this MAVNI program. However, I remain skeptical of any program that permits the military to sink its claws into you without first giving you what you want. To wit, what happens to someone who has their citizenship delayed or even denied?

Hello everyone.

I am an international physician practicing with full physician license in Usa.

I recently met a physician recruiter who offered to enlist me as a reserve physician.Doled out citizenship as an incentive.
This he said is possible because of the Mavni scheme which allows non citizens to enlist with citizenship.

I am just wondering what the cons of this are.? I am happy with my work as a hospital employed physician.

I am requesting some helpful advise from people who know the system well.Appreciate your help.

Once you are in the military regardless of the program you are on the hook to deploy or be stationed at an overseas military treatment facility. If a recruiter tells you that there is no chance of deployment, they are lying. We will have a footprint in Afghanistan up and likely through 2016.