Army Reservist applying for medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cye0216

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently drilling as a reservist. My contract is up in 2020 then I will be IRR.

I am planning on applying for medical schools in 2017, and hopefully get accepted to start in 2018.

What should I do when I have to drill while going to medical school?

I have considered HPSP, USUHS, but after reading articles and hearing personal experiences, I am leaning toward not going that route.

It's daunting hinking about drilling while going to medical school. Is there any possibilities to drill during Summer or Winter when I am not in school?

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently drilling as a reservist. My contract is up in 2020 then I will be IRR.

I am planning on applying for medical schools in 2017, and hopefully get accepted to start in 2018.

What should I do when I have to drill while going to medical school?

I have considered HPSP, USUHS, but after reading articles and hearing personal experiences, I am leaning toward not going that route.

It's daunting hinking about drilling while going to medical school. Is there any possibilities to drill during Summer or Winter when I am not in school?
Under a non med student mos? I don't think that ability exists

Med student officers have access to every other month flex drill but if you commission in you might be stuck signing for 6years of drill

what branch of service are you in?

Have you looked at MDSSP? Thats what I did. I was an enlisted army reservist and took 3 years of MDSSP. I didn't drill at all during medical school, except maybe the first 2-3 months when I started school. If you take MDSSP you will basically be deferring your service obligation to start 8-10 years from now.

You can also just drill through medical school. It's really not all that bad to do drill in medical school, until you have a 3 day drill or get orders for some sustainment training or something. Theres also the possibility of deployment. If any of those happen, medical school won't slow down for you and you will have to make up all coursework and may eventually have to repeat a year. Who knows how it will work you, but if you are tired of the military this is probably be the best option as you'll be pretty much out by the 3rd year of medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Under a non med student mos? I don't think that ability exists

Med student officers have access to every other month flex drill but if you commission in you might be stuck signing for 6years of drill

Thank you for your insight. If I want to become a med student officer, who do I talk to?

what branch of service are you in?

Have you looked at MDSSP? Thats what I did. I was an enlisted army reservist and took 3 years of MDSSP. I didn't drill at all during medical school, except maybe the first 2-3 months when I started school. If you take MDSSP you will basically be deferring your service obligation to start 8-10 years from now.

You can also just drill through medical school. It's really not all that bad to do drill in medical school, until you have a 3 day drill or get orders for some sustainment training or something. Theres also the possibility of deployment. If any of those happen, medical school won't slow down for you and you will have to make up all coursework and may eventually have to repeat a year. Who knows how it will work you, but if you are tired of the military this is probably be the best option as you'll be pretty much out by the 3rd year of medical school.
I never heard of MDSSP. If I take MDSSP, will they wait until I finish residency to drill? Also, will I be commissioned or do I maintain my rank? Having to repeat a year is what I want to avoid... Also, I have a BS in Nuclear Medicine Technology. Is it possible for me to switch over to Medical Service Corps and possibly reducing remaining time in my contract? Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

Thank you for your insight. If I want to become a med student officer, who do I talk to?
Call a recruiter and ask for the phone number of the amedd recruiting (different than enlisted recruiting).

You can commission into the guard after getting a med school acceptance without taking the mdssp stipend (if your current mos releases you). Then drill every other month during school/residency (at approval of your co)

Mdssp pays a $2k/month stipend but is a 2/1 service obligation payback

Call a recruiter and ask for the phone number of the amedd recruiting (different than enlisted recruiting).

You can commission into the guard after getting a med school acceptance without taking the mdssp stipend (if your current mos releases you). Then drill every other month during school/residency (at approval of your co)

Mdssp pays a $2k/month stipend but is a 2/1 service obligation payback
Will commissioning into the guard as a medical student extend my contract?

Will commissioning into the guard as a medical student extend my contract?
I believe (can't verify) it requires a 6yr commiment but if you just commission and don't take mdssp, you are out before you get deployable (finished residency)

I believe (can't verify) it requires a 6yr commiment but if you just commission and don't take mdssp, you are out before you get deployable (finished residency)
Seems like the best bet is to stick with my contract if I wanted out on time. Thanks a lot!