Residencies in Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iyyi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do the residencies in Texas compare with others? I know that each residency offers something for someone, but there tend to be some better, more respected, than others. Can anyone provide any input on the Texas sites?

Members don't see this ad.

There are a few great TX programs. Houston has a great program that works a lot in orthopedics. San Antonio has a great program especially for diabetics, limb salvage and wounds. I know there are more programs but those are the 2 I hear a lot about.

For more info, look at the residency section in the aacpm.org

Thanks. Any feelings toward the residency at Scott and White or John Peter Smith Hospitals?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone heard how the San Antonio residency is now that the director has stepped down.

I heard he stepped down as director but is still an attending. They still have a ton of great attendings, so I would say it is still very stong if you are interested in wound care and limb salvage.

I heard he stepped down as director but is still an attending. They still have a ton of great attendings, so I would say it is still very stong if you are interested in wound care and limb salvage.

Does this program see alot of trauma and ankle surgery? How competitive is it to match in san antonio? I am very much interested in the limb salvage and wound care apects but, I also want strong surgical skills as it relates to trauma and reconstruction. Any DMU students trained there?

Does this program see alot of trauma and ankle surgery? How competitive is it to match in san antonio? I am very much interested in the limb salvage and wound care apects but, I also want strong surgical skills as it relates to trauma and reconstruction. Any DMU students trained there?

I'm not too familiar with the niche of this program but I do know that they offer a fellowship after residency. It is a strong program so I can foresee it as being competitive.

Email a resident and ask to see the numbers, it is the only way to prove what they do. Or for an informal check look at the residency review in the library.

Email a resident and ask to see the numbers, it is the only way to prove what they do. Or for an informal check look at the residency review in the library.

Hey feelgood,

The library says that there isn't a residency review book for DPMs only for DOs. Where can I find this book? Thanks.

oncogene

Hey feelgood,

The library says that there isn't a residency review book for DPMs only for DOs. Where can I find this book? Thanks.

Phil Richardson

They dont know what they are talking about. Its there behind the desk. At least the 2006 version is. The '07 was never put back there I dont think. You can find that in the tower, 7th floor.

They dont know what they are talking about. Its there behind the desk. At least the 2006 version is. The '07 was never put back there I dont think. You can find that in the tower, 7th floor.

Do you mean the class of 2006? I am assuming that the newer version(2007) is on the 7th floor. Is that correct? She said that all they have is the caspr book. What does it look like?
oncogene

Do you mean the class of 2006? I am assuming that the newer version(2007) is on the 7th floor. Is that correct? She said that all they have is the caspr book. What does it look like?
oncogene

Sorry, are you looking for something to study for residency interviews or for a survey compilation of various residencies filled out by current residents?

There are 2 copies, 1 in the tower and 1 in the library. I would go take to a pod student that works in the library b/c most of the old ladies up there are very very slow maybe the bats left the .

Thanks. Any feelings toward the residency at Scott and White or John Peter Smith Hospitals?

I did the John Peter Smith Residency in 92-94. It was first rate and , at the time, was higher paying than San Antonio. The hospital is basically 'residency run' so you get lots of experience in clinic rotations, derm, trauma, ER, radiology, gen surgery, plastic surgery and general medicine. Your treated just like all the residents, except you don't do gyno. lol I must say, I didn't miss that.

Al Kline DPM
THE FOOT BLOG

I did the John Peter Smith Residency in 92-94. It was first rate and , at the time, was higher paying than San Antonio. The hospital is basically 'residency run' so you get lots of experience in clinic rotations, derm, trauma, ER, radiology, gen surgery, plastic surgery and general medicine. Your treated just like all the residents, except you don't do gyno. lol I must say, I didn't miss that.

Al Kline DPM
THE FOOT BLOG

Dr. Kline,

do you know if that residency offers any sort of research fellowship or opportunity after completing the three years?

Thank you.

Dr. Harkless hasn't retired yet, but maybe sometime soon (He's been at UTHSCSA 35 years now). I can't see him not working with the students.