Residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foody

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
No pressure or anything but did anyone from UQ get matched yet? Would be nice to hear some news since the webpages haven't posted anything. Thanks for your info in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I matched in pathology. UQ (non-Ochsner, American citizen) class 2012.

No pressure or anything but did anyone from UQ get matched yet? Would be nice to hear some news since the webpages haven't posted anything. Thanks for your info in advance!

Nah, UQ ochsner just wants you to fork over 350k, if you ask about residency you're a "troll."

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a really unhelpful "answer". Why post is this thread if you have nothing useful to advise? It's a simple question for those who have went through the match process for 2014. And the school is going to post information about it within the next week or so, I just wanted to know earlier if anyone had heard anything as this is match week.

Nah, UQ ochsner just wants you to fork over 350k, if you ask about residency you're a "troll."
No, but you are sounding more and more like one.

I matched in internal medicine. My #1 choice was Cedars-Sinai and my #2 choice was Ochsner. So I think it is really down to those two and the rest of my list doesn't matter. My interview at Cedars went extremely well, but the California Medical Board managed to drag their feet long enough on the approval process such that I am still currently unable to get my PTAL. As a result it was my onus to write a letter to Cedars explaining the situation since, technically, I cannot guarantee them I will have my PTAL prior to rank day and I also cannot absolutely guarantee them I will have it before July 1. There is overwhelming reason to believe that I will, but I can't control the MBC and so a delay or something completely out of left field like not approving the program could lead them to match someone who ends up not being able to get a CA license. Since I can't rule that out as a possibility, I sought advice from my attorney who agreed I needed to disclose the information, he vetted my letter, and I sent it.

I genuinely think I had a very good chance of matching at Cedars. I do not know how the letter will end up affecting my bid but I recognize that it alone could have possibly sunk me. Or been the thing that pushed me off the end of the rank list. It has been extremely frustrating but entirely outside of my control.

Either way, however, I will be quite happy as long as I end up at either Cedars or Ochsner. My primary reason for ranking Cedars #1 was actually geographic. Both me and my fiance want to return home, to be closer to our families. But in all honesty, in terms of career, for my fiance it is better to stay here and for me personally I think Ochsner will provide me opportunities that I would not have had at Cedars that I can aggressively capitalize on. It was actually not an easy decision on my rank order and took many discussions with my better half.

All that said, yes I am trying to rationalize and justify either outcome and be happy with it. Undoubtedly there is much bias involved, but as always I try and be as objective as I can. And at least I can take some solace in the fact that I truly believe no class behind me will have to deal with these MBC shenanigans like I have.

Either way, I am happy to post up where I matched Friday afternoon.

I also have heard some grumblings and know that a large number of the class did indeed match. I also learned that somewhere around 5 or 6 of us didn't actually participate in the Match at all (some went for Australian internships, but I don't know the details beyond that). I do know there are some of us who did not match but I have no official numbers and only know of 1 individual personally. I do not know how the SOAP is going. None of what I have been hearing from the rumor mill is unexpected to me at all from long before interviews were even offered.

I'm sure the stats will be released at some point next week (I doubt Friday, but who knows). I don't know that it is my place to pre-release what I know, particularly when most of it would be speculation and hearsay, especially in context of the fact that the official results will be released.

Reactions: 2 users

Welcome back troll king. I hope you find the waters warm and inviting.

Wow congrats nybgrus on matching!!! I hope you get your #1 choice in the end. And wherever you go, I'm sure they're lucky to have you. I have seen your posts here on the forum a lot and they have always been so detailed and helpful. So thank you for posting such good info for students applying this cycle.

It is heartening to hear that most of the class matched. I am applying to post-baccaleaurate programs right now in addition to UQ, but I'd rather start med school sooner. If you had the choice to do it all over again, would you make the same decisions? Would love to hear from you. Thanks

Reactions: 1 user
Wow congrats nybgrus on matching!!! I hope you get your #1 choice in the end. And wherever you go, I'm sure they're lucky to have you. I have seen your posts here on the forum a lot and they have always been so detailed and helpful. So thank you for posting such good info for students applying this cycle.

It is heartening to hear that most of the class matched. I am applying to post-baccaleaurate programs right now in addition to UQ, but I'd rather start med school sooner. If you had the choice to do it all over again, would you make the same decisions? Would love to hear from you. Thanks

Thanks for the kind words. Glad to have been of help.

Well, I'm not one to gossip but this is overall good news.

22/24 matched. The rough count was that ~80% matched somewhere in the top 3 with most getting #1 or #2. Everyone who applied for EM got matched (3 total). Couple of surgery prelims. One gen surg categorical. One ortho at Ochsner. 9/24 matched at Ochsner. The second majority was at LSU/Tulane and after that all over (Virginia, Illinois, North Carolina, Oregon off the top of my head).

I matched at Ochsner (my #2).

I don't want to overstep my bounds by saying too much more or editorializing too much. Suffice it to say, it was a pretty good outcome. More exact stats will be coming from Ochsner next week some time.

Reactions: 4 users
I matched at my #1 choice.

2012 UQ (non-Ochsner) graduate

Oops posted my thanks in the other forum full of fighting haha. Appreciate all the help and advice!! Congrats again!!! Yay!!!

I posted this on the other thread, but just so people know, 3 of my class took Aussie internships instead of trying to match in the US. Not entirely sure of all their reasons but I know at least one just really loved Aus and wanted to stay.

Still not what I would recommend as your plan if you enter this program (if you really think you have a high likelihood of wanting to stay in Oz, I'd argue that the traditional 4 year program is a better option), but certainly something nice to at least potentially have in your back pocket should you need it for whatever reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a great start! Wow, Cook County EM is a stellar residency. Looking forward to a comprehensive match list.

Yeah, I interviewed at Cook for their IM program and was not too thrilled. Great program, but not for what I am interested in. For EM... killer program for sure.

One of my best friends in the program is the Stamford match though :-( (It was his #2 choice, so I feel happy for him... just sad that we won't be living in the same city anymore)

So aside from those who matched in the US, three got internship in Qld? Sounds like a better than 92% match rate to me.

So aside from those who matched in the US, three got internship in Qld? Sounds like a better than 92% match rate to me.

I think technically this is right if 29 graduated total. so 27/29= 93% (including the Oz interns) instead of 92%. Lol...but mededpath fails to mention that some people decided to stay in Oz which I think they should to inform people. But I feel for the two people that didn't match, that sucks when everyone else did.

Here I am wondering what the heck someone slipped me to write so strangely... and then I realize it is April 1.

Anyways, there were actually 31 of us starting in Year 3. Of those 1 did an MPH and another took a year to do some research, leaving us with 29. Of those 3 apparently got an Aussie internship (@qldking .... chirp... chirp....), 1 withdrew from the match for personal reasons (but I think would have matched somewhere). I don't have any idea what happened to the other 1. That leaves the 24 that actually went for the match. And as we said, 22 of them matched. Yes, it does suck that they didn't. But let's just say I'm not particularly surprised.

So in reality, counting Aussie interns, it is 25/27 which is basically the same percentage. LOL. (91.7% vs 92.6%, though for numbers like these the percents are a rather useless way of showing the metric. If only one of the class last year didn't match it would have been an 88.9% match rate which is deceptive. Those sorts of numbers only really matter once the cohorts become large and in aggregate over the years). The real point is that damned near everyone who tried to match did and for those who didn't it was not because they came from this program.

But still, the numbers overall are small. This is not real data, more like a pilot study. It is a proof of concept showing that the program - including staying in Aus if you feel enamored with the Aussies - is viable. I think that as the program grows there will be more strain put on the match, but at the same time the visibility and notoriety will also grow, particularly as our graduates are in positions to advocate for the program and show residencies how good we are. It is silly to think we would be competing directly with US grads. We will be competing with other IMGs, particularly the Caribs and the others. And there is plenty of room for us there.

Thanks for the breakdown. I can properely understand now that april fools is over.

For the two who didn't match, did they not apply for Aussie internships? If their applications for US residency were as subpar as you allude to, one would think it would be prudent to have a back up plan.

The thing is that Aussie internship starts prior to Match Day so that is not quite as easy an option. That said, it turns out that one of the 2 who didn't match actually managed to wrangle a late-start intern spot in Aus. Not something I would count on, but telling that such things are possible. Kind of sort of even slams it just a wee bit more in the face of our resident troll who disappeared ever since I informed this thread that 3 of the class is already in an Aussie internship. Which I actually also just learned is 4. So 5 counting the late start.

Once again, this is not something I would count on and obviously you should do everything to match, but it is stellar outcome for that individual.

The new Qld Ballot priority list is out for this year (for internship 2015) -- it puts Ochsner students P6 (while int'l students in Australia are P4), so are now at a relative disadvantage. Note however that if this had been done for internship 2014, nothing would have changed, since the Commonwealth funded extra spots were reserved for int'ls (without differentiating between Australian programs in Australia vs. those outside of Australia) and once again did not get filled. No one knows how long the Commonwealth will continue to fund spots for int'ls though.

The new Qld Ballot priority list is out for this year (for internship 2015) -- it puts Ochsner students P6 (while int'l students in Australia are P4), so are now at a relative disadvantage. Note however that if this had been done for internship 2014, nothing would have changed, since the Commonwealth funded extra spots were reserved for int'ls (without differentiating between Australian programs in Australia vs. those outside of Australia) and once again did not get filled. No one knows how long the Commonwealth will continue to fund spots for int'ls though.

Good information to know. As I've always said, the goal here should not be to stay in Australia. If you think seriously you would be interested in that, then the "traddie" (as we call it) program is for you. If you are UQO the idea of Aussie internship should be reserved for extreme back up or if, perchance, you happen to fall in love with a Sheila or a Bloke ;-) (which has happened). But in all seriousness, backup, not primary.

Priority list now online:
http://www.health.qld.gov.au/medical/intern/priority-interns.asp

Interestingly, ACT is the only other region to have a special category (P6) for AMC-approved offshore schools (namely, Monash Malaysia and UQ Ochsner).

The priority lists and the unfilled Commonwealth spots were discussed at an AMA committee meeting last week -- I don't have a link to the acceptance stats.

Last edited:
I have just heard that the program is officially and unanimously approved in California, retroactive to 2009 (the first class). There will be no future concerns about residency in CA. It is not out on the intertubes as of yet; I was informed immediately after the meeting.

Reactions: 1 users
P6: "Medical graduates of Australian Medical Council accredited offshore medical school campuses..." was made with Ochsner and Monash Malaysia specifically in mind, being the AMC-accredited offshore campuses. I agree that P4 sounds ambiguous, but it is to be interpreted as the int'ls of Qld unis that are not offshore campuses.

On the face of it, it does seem peculiar that these particular P6 medical graduates are not a "priority" in any country. Meaning, they are at a significant disadvantage, on paper, in any country they apply to complete their training.

Peculiar, yes. Note however that it seems that despite the low priority in the Qld state ballot, Ochsner (and Monash Malaysia) students will still qualify for Commonwealth Medical Internship spots (assuming the federal govt continues to subsidize them).

CORRECTION: Grads of the two overseas campuses of Australians schools are expressly NOT allowed to apply for a CMI spot. Bummer.

Last edited:
Some of the residency matches for non-Ochsner UQ students (all 4 years in Queensland) who applied to the US match (mainly Canadians?) are listed here if anyone is interested: http://www.mededpath.org/residency_match_2013.html

I didn't know about the traddies. They did well for themselves. I think that obviously there is a slight difference in the candidates, but that overall this does bolster the idea that UQOCS grads can match well. At baseline one can reasonably assume that a program will not readily differentiate between us and traddies. We are working to change that - and succeeding with every interview and match we get, along with the efforts of the Ochsner leadership - so things will only look better for us overall.

One thing that jumped out at me is that the diagnostic rads match listed does not have an asterisk after it but it should - that was a UQOCS grad that matched into rads at Ochsner.

Just to add a little nuisance (not sure if it was covered before), there was also 1 that got into a spot at Kaiser Permanente in Los Angeles, CA as a PGY-1 in Peds. He did not technically "match" but he did get a coveted residency in California.

Oops, I just read the "updated" MedEdPath website. I guess it was already accounted for.

Just to add a little nuisance (not sure if it was covered before), there was also 1 that got into a spot at Kaiser Permanente in Los Angeles, CA as a PGY-1 in Peds. He did not technically "match" but he did get a coveted residency in California.

Yes, this is true. I didn't mention it because it technically was not a match and was in fact a very, very, very, very unusual circumstance that led to it happening. This circumstance happened after match day and after the MBC had approved UQ-O and the person involved was extremely fortunate at the outcome.

It is indeed proof that we can do residency in CA, but simply not anything that can actually speak to the idea of matching in CA. I still think we can - and will - match just fine over there, now that the MBC BS is out of the way, but this is specifically just an outlier.

@nybgrus, how did your friend get that spot if not through the match or scramble? Pretty cool.

@nybgrus, how did your friend get that spot if not through the match or scramble? Pretty cool.

Well, it isn't exactly my story to tell so I won't go into much detail, but suffice it to say that the program opened an extra spot after the match (it had been trying to open it in time for the match, but wasn't able to; hence why it is such an incredibly rare and absolutely unrepresentative occurrence)