Residency 2016 Path Starting up PLEASE ADVICE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drf123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!
I'm planning to apply next fall and currently studying for Step 1. Can someone please help me create a realistic timeline. I took 2 yrs off and now getting back into the game. I dont have any US Clinical Experience currently but I'm a US Citizen FMG from SoCal.
Currently I was thinking maybe I should try to get clinical experience once or twice a week so I can continue studying for Step 1 without major commitments in clinicals...but so far haven't had any luck with finding a good opportunity.
Gonna need to do Step 1 Step 2 CK CS and 3 LORs all by next fall. Doable?? or am I being too optimistic?? Please advice.
I started studying for Step 1 consistently this Fall. I've already done Kaplan and UW once but did it on n off with breaks. Please guide so I can have a winning strategy in obtaining a good score, good letters, and eventually a good residency.
If anyone knows any FMG friendly opportunities in Orange County California please advice!
Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

it's all doable. yes you'll need at least step 1-2 for residency
just do uw, I like adding boards to wards/first aid and take the exams.
being an FMG is a tough gig for residency
there is hope though, there are places that will let you practice under an attending, usually in rural area clinics so you can get a letter. that's your best bet but I think they are already practicing physicians from overseas
did you complete post school training already? where did you go?
what are you planning to enter?

I went to school in Europe and graduated in 2012. Due to family reasons I delayed Step 1 but now I'm looking forward to working on a marathon towards residency. Does anyone know of any good opportunities in Orange County that would take FMG volunteers or internship.
My plan is to do Step 1 by end of winter n then Step 2 while working/interning at a clinic once or twice a week for my LORs and clinical experience...

europe's good. just max out the boards and it should help
choice of residency is another matter
I don't know if FMG are accepted well in CA, the NE has the largest concentration