Residency Abroad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dengelman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in possibly pursuing my 4th year residency somewhere abroad. My school said this is indeed possible if they are able to establish a contract with someone who is ASHA certified abroad. Has anyone spent or planning on spending their residency abroad? What steps need to be taken and what was the experience like?

Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

I am honestly not sure about the process that occurs to be able to spend your 4th year abroad. I have seen a placement for New Zealand listed on the AAA registry. There may be other listings in other countries on the registry as well. That would probably be a good place to start looking. Good luck finding a placement. It would defiantly be a great experience to practice audiology in another country!

thanks for the info, I checked the registry, they seem to only be listing residencies in the US. If anyone has any leads on where to find a listing of residency sites abroad, would be much appreciated :)

use ASHA's membership director to look for audiologists abroad, then you (or your faculty advisor) can contact them directly to find out if they'd be interested in supervising an extern.

we had a placement in New Zealand with an ASHA-certified audiologist, and one of our students completed their 4th year there.

you need to pay attention to the scope of practice in the country you're interested in and at the specific site. it's easier to find a adult hearing aid type of placement in other countries and more difficult to find a medical/pediatric placement. those kinds of sites tend to be centered at large public hospitals, and it's typically private practices that are motivated to take on foreign students.