Residency and California Board

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

super112

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that doing a 1 year general residency program allows you to bypass the California board exam, but does anyone know how speciality residency programs relate? For example, if you've done a 2-year residency as an orthodontist out of California, are you still required to take the California regional? This may be common knowledge, but as a pre-dental student I'm unaware of the answer. I can't seem to find the answer however I google it. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, the only way to avoid taking the WREB to practice in California is to complete a GPR or AEGD. Completing other specialty programs (Ortho, Endo, OMFS etc) do not count.

Thanks! Here's another question if you don't mind answering. What is the potential benefit of taking the California State Licensure Exam vs. WREB? I would have thought everyone would choose the WREB and the CSLE would eventually not even be offered. The WREB have been accepted by California since 2005 so it's been almost 10 years already.

Thanks! Here's another question if you don't mind answering. What is the potential benefit of taking the California State Licensure Exam vs. WREB? I would have thought everyone would choose the WREB and the CSLE would eventually not even be offered. The WREB have been accepted by California since 2005 so it's been almost 10 years already.
I can't think of any advantages since if you take the California State Board you can only practice in California. I would say nearly everyone takes the WREB.