Residency and Jobs after Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1tbspofpatience

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a M4 applying to the specialty this year and was wondering if I should factor in which region I prefer to be in after residency into my decision. Do you have a better shot at getting a job in a certain region if your residency was in that region or could doing a residency or fellowship at a big name program be enough to get you to where you want to be? I'm mainly interested in how it works in academics but would be interested to also hear what it's like for private practice as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Makes zero difference the location of your residency in terms of getting a job in a particular private practice area. It may have a modest impact for academic positions (i.e. West Coast tends to favor West Coast while East Coast favors East Coast) but there are so many exceptions to that favoritism these days I think that's fading away. All that matters is the quality of the program and, to be quite honest, what your attendings say about you.

I put far more trust in a residency program advisor' or chairman's eval of potential ENT staff than I do in the location and even reputation of a residency or fellowship program. Everyone knows a-holes from great programs and rockstars from less than stellar programs.

Reactions: 1 users