Residency application questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

careerchngr

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I had some general questions regarding residency applications. Do you have to put down all undergraduate and graduate programs you attended before medical school? Also will withdrawing from a masters program in biology many years before I started medical school affect my chances at matching into a competitive program? From what I understand matching into a competitive program is dependent on board scores, LOR's and clinical grades. Is this more or less accurate? Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Members don't see this ad.

You are required to enter all of your undergraduate and graduate school work. I was in a similar situation, as I dropped out of a Masters program about 7yrs before my residency apps--no one said anything to me about it and i was able to match at a strong university program in general surgery. In addition to board scores, LORs, and clinical grades (esp. r/t your desired field), the interview also has some level of importance (varies from specialty to specialty). The Iserson text is pretty helpful with regard to residency applications. Best of luck.

careerchngr said:
Hello,
I had some general questions regarding residency applications. Do you have to put down all undergraduate and graduate programs you attended before medical school? Also will withdrawing from a masters program in biology many years before I started medical school affect my chances at matching into a competitive program? From what I understand matching into a competitive program is dependent on board scores, LOR's and clinical grades. Is this more or less accurate? Thanks in advance for any advice offered.
My memory regarding what the ERAS application looks like is a bit hazy since I went through this a year ago. I believe you have to put down where/when you were for any undergrad and postgrad education. I think they ask you for name of institution, location, dates attended, and degrees conferred.

I don't think withdrawing from a masters program many years ago will have much impact (if any) on your chances of landing a competitive residency program. In my opinion, that's old news and doesn't apply to your suitability for a residency field & program. More important will be your grades, Step 1 (and Step 2 if you have 'em) and especially your letters of recommendations.

Best of luck!

If you got kicked out for plagarism or something along those lines it might make a difference. Otherwise I doubt it would.

what if you don't even list it.

I technically enrolled for a semester in grad school but never even went because i changed my mind. But i was officially registered that semester and had to write all sorts of letters to not get a semester of W's. so am i required to list that on my ERAS?

thanks for the input.

ortholsu said:
what if you don't even list it.

I technically enrolled for a semester in grad school but never even went because i changed my mind. But i was officially registered that semester and had to write all sorts of letters to not get a semester of W's. so am i required to list that on my ERAS?

thanks for the input.

I don't see why it would be required to list that, but if you did something else productive during that time, I would think you would want to include it.

Do residency programs receive 3rd year shelf scores in all specialties, or just the one you are applying to, or do they just weigh the one you are applying to more heavily?

zeloc said:
I don't see why it would be required to list that, but if you did something else productive during that time, I would think you would want to include it.

Do residency programs receive 3rd year shelf scores in all specialties, or just the one you are applying to, or do they just weigh the one you are applying to more heavily?

Residencies do not get shelf scores at all unless your Dean's Letter includes them or your entire grade is based on your score, both of which are unlikely. They will see your clerkship grades in toto as part of your transcript, not whatever breakdown (shelf vs. evals) that particular clerkship at your school grades you on. As an example, my school graded Medicine 30% on the shelf and the rest on various evals and an observed PE while Surgery was 65% shelf, 35% evals. Programs will see all of your grades but, if you're applying to Plastics, they may not particularly care what your Family Practice or Peds grades were.

BE (now PE)

brooklyneric said:
Residencies do not get shelf scores at all unless your Dean's Letter includes them or your entire grade is based on your score, both of which are unlikely. They will see your clerkship grades in toto as part of your transcript, not whatever breakdown (shelf vs. evals) that particular clerkship at your school grades you on. As an example, my school graded Medicine 30% on the shelf and the rest on various evals and an observed PE while Surgery was 65% shelf, 35% evals. Programs will see all of your grades but, if you're applying to Plastics, they may not particularly care what your Family Practice or Peds grades were.

BE (now PE)

The packet that the school provides with its grade breakdowns MAY include the Shelf score (as it also may be included in the Dean's letter or someone else's letter) or may simply categorize the student in the Top 1/3 of exam takers, etc. There is no hard and fast rule about this - some schools provide specifics, others are rather vague about their scoring process.

Can somebody tell me what the timing of ERAS applications are? When do you fill out ERAS (that's the first step, right?) and at what point do they start to interview. Must all grades be in when you file ERAS, or do you have them trickle in even after the application is submitted?

I seem to remember reading somewhere that residency programs start to "download" ERAS at a particular time. Is this true, and when is this time?

Thanks
Judd