residency application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
L

Lillianna

I have a quick question, if a site does not require a letter of intent should I still write one anyway, would that make me look more ambitious or just wasting their time?

thank you!

also, if anyone can give me some great examples of letters of intent that would be greatly appreciated

Lily

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should definitely know your intend shin.

That's so weird to me, LOI's were very useful in screening applicants at our program.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That's so weird to me, LOI's were very useful in screening applicants at our program.
Right? I spend the most time looking at LOI and LORs and the least amount of time giving a crap about what presentations and posters someone did.

Reactions: 1 users
so what i'm hearing is, go ahead and write one anyway even if the school doesn't require it?

Reactions: 1 users
Right? I spend the most time looking at LOI and LORs and the least amount of time giving a crap about what presentations and posters someone did.

LORs? They're all full of ****. When the applicant self-selects, they're 99.9% going to be good. When it's faculty, they're 99.9% going to bolster their own institution by trying to get their students matched. A bad LOR = no LOR to begin with, classic selection bias.

The only LORs I find instructive are employer/volunteer LORs (I like to get an idea for work ethic), or juicy ones where they're negative (the 0.1%, fun to read, and kind of an automatic fail). I really just skim them, look for key words/phrases, note who wrote it, and move on.

I do pay attention to names of preceptors (or non LOR references), I'll usually know one and shoot them an email/text/call to get the scoop (in case someone is borderline). I've outed a few applicants with 3/3 outstanding LORs with firm "do not hire" comments from people listed within the application.

If I don't know the writer personally, LORs are completely useless to me. What does your professor, former employer, or friend know about working at MY institution? Nothing.

lol the focus here is letter of intent....not LOR, but thanks for your opinions!

LORs? They're all full of ****. When the applicant self-selects, they're 99.9% going to be good. When it's faculty, they're 99.9% going to bolster their own institution by trying to get their students matched. A bad LOR = no LOR to begin with, classic selection bias.

The only LORs I find instructive are employer/volunteer LORs (I like to get an idea for work ethic), or juicy ones where they're negative (the 0.1%, fun to read, and kind of an automatic fail). I really just skim them, look for key words/phrases, note who wrote it, and move on.

I do pay attention to names of preceptors (or non LOR references), I'll usually know one and shoot them an email/text/call to get the scoop (in case someone is borderline). I've outed a few applicants with 3/3 outstanding LORs with firm "do not hire" comments from people listed within the application.

Well of course they are self-selected but that tells me a ton. If an applicant has a LOR that is vague or impersonal - that tells me a lot about the applicant's lack of perspective. If you can't figure out who can write you a good letter or you don't have enough relationships with people to have 3 people who can write good letters, that tells me something. If you have no idea how your superiors perceive you, that tells me something. And by "good" I'm not saying who can say the most good things, I'm saying LORs that say "you know, this person was unsure when they started XYZ rotation but by the end, they were as good as my residents" or "they took criticism well" or "they really worked hard to develop an efficient process for working up patients", etc. Willingness and ability to grow is huge and is not a skill you can teach. I can teach clinical skills, I can't teach someone how not to be a lazy ass or a self-important d-bag.

Certainly you can go wrong sometimes, just like you can go wrong with any part of the application. I wish I had paid more attention one year to one LOR that would have saved me a lot of strife. Overall, it's still somewhat of a crapshoot but writing LORs is a PITA so if someone writes a good, meaningful LOR that carries a lot of weight to me.

Well of course they are self-selected but that tells me a ton. If an applicant has a LOR that is vague or impersonal - that tells me a lot about the applicant's lack of perspective. If you can't figure out who can write you a good letter or you don't have enough relationships with people to have 3 people who can write good letters, that tells me something. If you have no idea how your superiors perceive you, that tells me something. And by "good" I'm not saying who can say the most good things, I'm saying LORs that say "you know, this person was unsure when they started XYZ rotation but by the end, they were as good as my residents" or "they took criticism well" or "they really worked hard to develop an efficient process for working up patients", etc. Willingness and ability to grow is huge and is not a skill you can teach. I can teach clinical skills, I can't teach someone how not to be a lazy ass or a self-important d-bag.

Certainly you can go wrong sometimes, just like you can go wrong with any part of the application. I wish I had paid more attention one year to one LOR that would have saved me a lot of strife. Overall, it's still somewhat of a crapshoot but writing LORs is a PITA so if someone writes a good, meaningful LOR that carries a lot of weight to me.

Fair enough, and you're right, I've read a handful of prosaic LORs that really speak to a student's character. I think our initial screening procedures were fairly loose, so I had to go through a LOT of LORs so I just did not have the luxury of seeking these needles in the proverbial haystack of applications.

We've adjusted our initial screen a bit to cut back on interviews (we interviewed a lot, which might explain why we backed off on LORs the way I described) so I might dive into LORs a little more this year by necessity, but I still think it'll be secondary to other factors and serve to move students up or down a notch come interview/ranking times.

Then again I suppose that's every other aspect of the application (notch up/notch down).