residency at internship site

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmasaur

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the thoughts out there on applying for PGY-1 residency at the same site you were an intern at during pharmacy school?

Members don't see this ad.

That's what I'm doing. That's actually the sole reason I did the internship to begin with--to get my foot in the door. And it's worked out brilliantly! =)

Lots of candidates will apply for a residency position at a hospital where they interned or had rotations.

I would definitely encourage you to at least look at other programs to help you get a better feel for the variety among programs and identify which are the best fit for you (could be where you're an intern or elsewhere). I think there is also something to be said for variety in your training experiences and going to another institution will give you perspective on how other pharmacy departments get things done.

I agree with looking at other programs as well as applying to programs that are familiar with you... gotta take it how you can get it in this residency climate.