Residency Case/Procedure Logs for Jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AFSmiley

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
All,

Just wondering what experiences people have had with using their procedure/case logs from residency when applying for jobs. I've got a couple years to go, but I'm hoping to find a community job in Texas in a medium sized town: (Waco, Lubbock, Tyler, etc)

Should I be logging as many cases as possible? Are groups not too concerned with these-is it more about meeting the minimums to graduate?

I've gotten conflicting info thus far and just looking for more input.

Members don't see this ad.

The only one that could possibly matter at some jobs post residency is procedural sedations most notably in pediatrics. For the most part though Rusted Fox is correct... For once. ;)

So yeah keep logging sedations, everything else doesn't really matter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Both my job coming out of residency and my current job required logs to be submitted for credentialing. I don't think there was a specific number of each procedure other than the minimum residency requirements though

Over the years, hospitals have wanted more and more information submitted to get credentialed. Major areas they want #'s on are ultrasounds and sedations, especially Peds. Count on having to submit your entire procedure log summary (not individual cases, just total #'s of each type of procedure). Never had one of my grads denied privileges they wanted, but the documentation required has steadily increased over the years. When your PD gets on your case to keep up on your logs, there's a reason.

Log ultrasounds. Get credentialed in ultrasounds. Bill ultrasounds. ????. Profit.

-young

Log ultrasounds. Get credentialed in ultrasounds. Bill ultrasounds. ????. Profit.

-young

Isn't it always more lucrative to see another patient than to spend the extra 10 minutes it takes to do a bedside ultrasound? I remember all the ultrasound threads around here funneling into a discussion about it's a waste of time in the community

Please somebody correct me if I am wrong!!

Isn't it always more lucrative to see another patient than to spend the extra 10 minutes it takes to do a bedside ultrasound? I remember all the ultrasound threads around here funneling into a discussion about it's a waste of time in the community

Please somebody correct me if I am wrong!!

Yes, you are correct. However, the argument I've heard for billing is that if you are someone who is proficient in U/S and you're going to be doing the study anyway, you should be getting paid for it. E.g. if I have a pt who is concerned about a DVT and I'm working in a shop that has no U/S tech overnight, I'll just do the DVT study myself so why wouldn't I get paid for it?

Yes, you are correct. However, the argument I've heard for billing is that if you are someone who is proficient in U/S and you're going to be doing the study anyway, you should be getting paid for it. E.g. if I have a pt who is concerned about a DVT and I'm working in a shop that has no U/S tech overnight, I'll just do the DVT study myself so why wouldn't I get paid for it?

Correct

And to piggyback.

1st trimester pregnancy. EASY indication and u/s to do. Take a few snaps of baby and do fhts in 2-3 min. Or u can wait on the formal for 2 hours and tie up a bed for 2 hours.

Pregnancy, gallbladder, renal u/s, FAST are all money.

Correct

And to piggyback.

1st trimester pregnancy. EASY indication and u/s to do. Take a few snaps of baby and do fhts in 2-3 min. Or u can wait on the formal for 2 hours and tie up a bed for 2 hours.

Pregnancy, gallbladder, renal u/s, FAST are all money.

Probably has a lot to do with the system - where I am currently training a formal U/S is done and read within an hour of placing the order. We also have 24 hour tech coverage. I am stellar with the ultrasound too, but as I am getting into my third year, it slows me down and I'm trying to work on efficiency!

That EPIC tips thread helped quite a bit to that end.

Reactions: 1 user
(1) Your log can be helpful for credentials at some hospitals.
(2) While billing U/S doesn't make you rich... (A) if you are going to do the study anyway-- line placement, echo in an arrest/peri-arrest, etc-- might as well get paid boyz! (B) sometimes there ISN't another patient to pick up. Sometimes you empty the waiting room or you are bed blocked. You can't always just "go pick up an ankle sprain" instead of documenting your U/S or writing a good chart etc.

(2) While billing U/S doesn't make you rich... (A) if you are going to do the study anyway-- line placement, echo in an arrest/peri-arrest, etc-- might as well get paid boyz! (B) sometimes there ISN't another patient to pick up. Sometimes you empty the waiting room or you are bed blocked. You can't always just "go pick up an ankle sprain" instead of documenting your U/S or writing a good chart etc.

I'd rather go get a sandwich and put my feet up if that rarity happens.

Wait, you don't do your scans while your feet are up, and the nurses feed you bonbons?

What type of hell hole to you work in!

If your hospital has decided to provide you with a PACs based process, or you have printer paper, or if the printer works, and they don't lose (or don't bill) it. There's a lot more to it than just circling "I used US on this patient" on the T sheet to make dollars.

It varies by group and by hospital. All 3 of the community places I credentialed with asked for procedure logs. One seemed not to care at all as long as I submitted something, one seemed to care a little, and one specifically said that the number of procedural sedations mattered, especially kids. I was glad I logged a ton of stuff. Basically, log diligently, even if it is a pain. You don't want that hanging over you or having to do extra things that cost time and money to get fully credentialed in something stupid because you did not log enough procedures in residency.

If your hospital has decided to provide you with a PACs based process, or you have printer paper, or if the printer works, and they don't lose (or don't bill) it. There's a lot more to it than just circling "I used US on this patient" on the T sheet to make dollars.

Yes. But today for example, I did a transabdominal u/s for pregnancy. Saw the baby. Saw FHT. Two pics. Took me five minutes to roll the u/s over, type in name, MRN, look at baby. Save two pics, print out baby for mom. Give discharge instructions. Roll back u/s. Clean it. Print out discharge instructions.

Saved me at least an hour of that bed being locked up.

Yes. But today for example, I did a transabdominal u/s for pregnancy. Saw the baby. Saw FHT. Two pics. Took me five minutes to roll the u/s over, type in name, MRN, look at baby. Save two pics, print out baby for mom. Give discharge instructions. Roll back u/s. Clean it. Print out discharge instructions.

Saved me at least an hour of that bed being locked up.
And when there is a fetal abnormality, you have her proof to sue you. That's snarky, but, ACEP (such as they are) says you shouldn't give pictures to go.

Reactions: 1 users