Residency Director's Rankings?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaiPenRai

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone list the Residency Director's Rankings for schools (different than the US News Rankings)? I feel like this would be useful information for people to know.

Members don't see this ad.

I would like to know as well, also with more information about what it is.... :)

Members don't see this ad :)
It is a ranking of how residency directors view medical schools (not specialties). It is taken into account with the US News and World Report....

It is a ranking of how residency directors view medical schools (not specialties). It is taken into account with the US News and World Report....

Your ability to score a top notch residency is much more dependent on your performance in med school than on where you went to school. I doubt if anyone would give you a straight answer to that question anyway. If you want to get a competitive residency work hard for it no matter where you are. No one will give an average student preference regardless of where they went to med school. Strive to get top grades, clinical rotation evaluations, and honors such as AOA. That is much more impressive than a nondescript med student from a "top twenty" school.

To clarify for everyone:

There is a numerical score (1-5, I believe) that US News gives every school it ranks that is called something like "residency director's ranking." It is based on surveys US News gives to PDs that ask them to give numerical scores to each school. Those scores are supposed to reflect PD's opinions of those schools with respect to the quality of PGY1's they produce.

IMO, and I know some will discount it because I'm not yet even an M1, it is the most valuable part of the US News rankings.

To the OP: Sorry, I don't have the numbers. :( But it would be great to get them!

If you wanted to quantify how much going to certain schools helps you, this would probably be a good measure. This shows what residency directors think of those that have come before you from a certain school.

To clarify for everyone:

There is a numerical score (1-5, I believe) that US News gives every school it ranks that is called something like "residency director's ranking." It is based on surveys US News gives to PDs that ask them to give numerical scores to each school. Those scores are supposed to reflect PD's opinions of those schools with respect to the quality of PGY1's they produce.

IMO, and I know some will discount it because I'm not yet even an M1, it is the most valuable part of the US News rankings.

To the OP: Sorry, I don't have the numbers. :( But it would be great to get them!

I wouldn't discount your view because you are not an M1 -- but there are lots of other reasons this component of the US News list is probably of not much value. According to US News:
"Assessment Score by Residency Directors (.20 for the research medical school model, .15 for the primary-care medical school model)
In the fall of 2005, residency program directors were asked to rate programs on two separate survey instruments. One survey dealt with research and was sent to a sample of residency program directors in fields outside primary care, including surgery, psychiatry, and radiology. The other survey involved primary care and was sent to residency directors in the fields of family practice, pediatrics, and internal medicine. Survey recipients were asked to rate programs on a scale from "marginal" (1) to "outstanding" (5). Those individuals who did not know enough about a program to evaluate it fairly were asked to mark "don't know." A school's score is the average of all the respondents who rated it. Responses of "don't know" counted neither for nor against a school. About 28 percent of those surveyed for research medical schools responded. Twenty-three percent responded for primary-care.".

Thus the problems I see with this are: (1) on the research list the residency directors apparently were asked to rank schools based on research-oriented things. Not sure how this helps you in terms of knowing if this helps in getting a residency. In this respect perhaps this component of the primary care survey has some value, but that overall ranking is horribly flawed for so many other reasons.
(2) The research survey was sent to a sample of non-primary care residency directors, but it's hard to know if they were representative, whether some specialties liked schools more than others, and whether a statistically reasonable number of each specialty even returned the survey. If you were actually interested in whether a certain school was helpful in getting into a particular specialty, you would really need a specialty specific ranking. It is meaningless eg if orthopods like XYZ school if you want to be a radiologist, and even more meaningless if they like XYZ school for research but not necessarilly for its clinicians. (3) Only 28% of the surveyed residency directors responded. No reason to believe the other 72% who didn't respond, or the who knows how many that were never surveyed would even agree.

So I wouldn't get too excited that there are numbers out there that would be helpful. US News is not in the industry, and so it's not surprising that its data is not that which would be most helpful to those who want to go into the industry. Get by on what's out there already. Good luck.