Residency-Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

faustudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard/done a 2 year residency on health system pharmacy administration? what are your thoughts on it?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard/done a 2 year residency on health system pharmacy administration? what are your thoughts on it?

Yes! I am interested in hearing more about it actually; I talked to a couple of management residents at my school and they look so miserable and tired. But I heard that the job market after the residency is pretty good; but it is a lot of work.

hey! thanks for replying. I've been searching the forums regarding this topic but haven't really seen anything. How many management residents does your school have? also, did they say anything about what they do on a regular day? and how many hours a week do they work? also, where did you hear that the job market for this type of residency would be good? any type of info would be of great help. thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Check out University of Wisconsin for their administrative residency.

why them specifically? have you had any experience with this program? do you know anyone? thank you

U of Wisconsin is an established program for years.
you can also check out the ones at Ohio State, UNC, etc any big hospital's program would be good.

hey! thanks for replying. I've been searching the forums regarding this topic but haven't really seen anything. How many management residents does your school have? also, did they say anything about what they do on a regular day? and how many hours a week do they work? also, where did you hear that the job market for this type of residency would be good? any type of info would be of great help. thanks

My school has ~4 to 5 management residents. I have a meeting with one of them on Thursday to get more information about the program and job market.I will post the information.

My school has ~4 to 5 management residents. I have a meeting with one of them on Thursday to get more information about the program and job market.I will post the information.
Thank you, that would be great! I am not sure if you have these questions (besides the ones already mentioned) already for your meeting with the resident but just in case I wrote them down:
1) how many hours do you work a week?
2) what does your typical day consist of?
3) the masters in health administration that they offer in conjunction with the 2 year residency, is it streamlined to what your rotations are in the residency?
4) do you get to interact with the director of pharmacy?
5) how many times a month do the hospital require you to staff the pharmacy?
6) does the hospital let you pick up shifts if you need to increase your income a little?
7) what type of projects have you done?

As of right now, these are the questions I can think of

Again, thank you very much

why them specifically? have you had any experience with this program? do you know anyone? thank you

I don't know anyone there, I've just heard that their program is good. Actually University of Wisconsin seems pretty good for pharmacy in general.

Thank you, that would be great! I am not sure if you have these questions (besides the ones already mentioned) already for your meeting with the resident but just in case I wrote them down:
1) how many hours do you work a week?
2) what does your typical day consist of?
3) the masters in health administration that they offer in conjunction with the 2 year residency, is it streamlined to what your rotations are in the residency?
4) do you get to interact with the director of pharmacy?
5) how many times a month do the hospital require you to staff the pharmacy?
6) does the hospital let you pick up shifts if you need to increase your income a little?
7) what type of projects have you done?

As of right now, these are the questions I can think of

Again, thank you very much

This is what he told me: the top 4programs: U. Wisconsin,Kansas, UPMC,OSU
1. It is really up to you but ~45-50hours
2.meetings, projects, @ the pharmacy managing people, selling ideas....so many diiferent things
3.yes. and no tuition. But @some programs, you have to pay for the MS
4.Yes.everytime you need him...weekly meetings
5.1st year: every other weekend +evening a month. 2nd year:every 3rd weekend
6 &7.didn't ask
He told me that pharmacy management residencies are less competitive

He told me about the projects but it was just too long...I might PM you later but everything you want to do

He told me about the projects but it was just too long...I might PM you later but everything you want to do
just curious minette, what is UPMC? i couldn't find the school on the ASHP list of Admin Residencies....thank you!!!