Residency in Aussie n NZ as an IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kalsabek

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all I'm a Canadian citizen and graduated from Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland -Bahrain this past June. I completed steps 1,2, and 3 and ECFMG certified and completed the Canadian mccee and mccqe part 1. Unfortunately I applied to both internal medicine residencies in USA and Canada and did NOT get matched. So I am looking into Australia and New Zealand being they have a good medical system. I read that I need to do the AMC exam and then look for a job. There's no direct way to get into the Australian system. I still did not complete internship. Is it better to apply with or without an internship. What are the required steps and where should I search to find spots. I really appreciate all of your help. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Did you not enter the SOAP?

(for the uninitiated, the Supplemental Offer and Acceptance Program is the new and improved version of the post-Match "scramble" for US residency program applicants)

Yes
Did you not enter the SOAP?

(for the uninitiated, the Supplemental Offer and Acceptance Program is the new and improved version of the post-Match "scramble" for US residency program applicants)
I did. Nothing so far from them sadly

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh wow sorry to hear. As a fellow Canadian applying next year to Irish schools, I'm curious to know how many interviews you had? What were your scores of the big exams?

I'm sorry to hear about the bad news thus far. Keep your head up it'll turn around for you

Situation a little complicated here but I'm in desperate need of answers...
I am a Canadian citizen who graduated in November from Ross University in the Caribbean.
My step scores were both 231. GPA was 3.8.
All my interviews gave me positive feedback during and after interviews, via email.
I didn't match and now that the first round of SOAP has gone by, I still haven't received any offers.
I applied to psych and family medicine (both really not that competitive)...
What will be my options if I go completely unmatched? I really want to be a psychiatrist. And i honestly don't care where at in the world. I personally do not like the healthcare system in the states so working as a medical officer/intern/resident ANYWHERE ELSE in the world would be ok for me.. if that's possible. any countries recommended?
I'm also open to other options involving either teaching, etc..
I am currently living in central america where I see patients daily as a family practitioner.
Any advice greatly appreciated :) Thank you in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"I personally do not like the healthcare system in the states"

then why did you apply to the US if you detested it so much? It's funny how Canadian IMG think they are special and choose the US as a "back up" to be not matched in Canada. There are more than enough US citizens AMG and IMG for US residency positions...why would a US residency program want a condescending Canadian citizen anyway as Canadian citizens are rejected by the hundreds by their own country Canada...the US residencies must have detected your true attitude towards American health care

Thats crazy that he scored above average on the USMLE steps and couldn't match anywhere...thats almost unbelievable.

Thats crazy that he scored above average on the USMLE steps and couldn't match anywhere...thats almost unbelievable.
Do you mean a Canadian citizen who studied an Irish school in Bahrain who wasn't able match into US or Canada and who is desperately looking for whatever place with good lifestyle as a doctor
or do you mean a Canadian citizen who studied in Caribbean school who graduated in November a year ago and who got just a few point above average who want to practice anywhere but the US but who applied only to the US?
I don't see it crazy or unbelievable...
There are hundreds or thousands who have better step scores or better credentials who really want to practice in the US who didn't have to leave their country to be able to get into medical school and who just didn't a mistake by leaving their country without willing to practice in the country where they are about to get the degree.
Never mind... the situation in Aussie and NZ is practically the same like in Canada... they practically don't have enough spots even for their own graduates... it's something like impossible to get the residency there as an IMG so save your money instead of paying for another expensive exams. Your best shot among these were the US so now you could try to get home (to Canada) and work on your credentials to be able to match there next time or go to Europe .. except for third world countries there is probably not much left...

Do you mean a Canadian citizen who studied an Irish school in Bahrain who wasn't able match into US or Canada and who is desperately looking for whatever place with good lifestyle as a doctor
or do you mean a Canadian citizen who studied in Caribbean school who graduated in November a year ago and who got just a few point above average who want to practice anywhere but the US but who applied only to the US?
There are hundreds or thousands who have better step scores or better credentials who really want to practice in the US who didn't have to leave their country to be able to get into medical school and who just didn't a mistake by leaving their country without willing to practice in the country where they are about to get the degree.
Never mind... the situation in Aussie and NZ is practically the same like in Canada... they practically don't have enough spots even for their own graduates... it's something like impossible to get the residency there as an IMG so save your money instead of paying for another expensive exams. Your best shot among these were the US so now you could try to get home (to Canada) and work on your credentials to be able to match there next time or go to Europe .. except for third world countries there is probably not much left...

Well you're wrong about Australia, and there are tons of US med school graduates with far worse scores than a 231 who easily match into the US. I know nothing about Canada however.

Reactions: 1 user
"I personally do not like the healthcare system in the states"

then why did you apply to the US if you detested it so much? It's funny how Canadian IMG think they are special and choose the US as a "back up" to be not matched in Canada. There are more than enough US citizens AMG and IMG for US residency positions...why would a US residency program want a condescending Canadian citizen anyway as Canadian citizens are rejected by the hundreds by their own country Canada...the US residencies must have detected your true attitude towards American health care

Canada was not my 1st choice. The US was. And when I rotated there, I worked hard and completely adapted to the system. I thought this forum was meant to be a professional system of help and advising between MDs. I respect your opinions and your reply but it's quite disappointing to feel your bitterness towards me, especially when I haven't been disrespectful to you. Thank you anyhow.

Just to clear things up, I wanted to practice in the US since I did all my rotations there and appreciated the training. I went unmatched because I understand that preference will be given to US citizens during match (that is just normal) and this year was competitive. Im not bitter over it or angry. All I am saying is that I will try for 2nd iteration in Canada, but indeed, I was looking for a more "marine" lifestyle since my husband is a boat captain and sailyacht racer (which is impossible to do in Kansas for example, or Manitoba). That is why I was asking if anyone knew about countries, preferably by the water, who offer intern positions or residency or something similar. Another thing, I didn't even apply to med school in canada because i had my heart set on doing an accelerated program (3 semesters a year instead of 2). So please people, if you are going to be condescending and hating on the people who ask questions, don't bother answering. i wasn't cocky about my scores, i didn't "have to leave my country to get into med school". I was just asking around to see if anyone knew about unmatched options. thanks.

Reactions: 1 user
This is nothing against you. This was against the stupid comment about above average steps and not matching b/c he obviously (especially proved by his second post) missed how the IMGs competition looks like. I wish you the best with matching anywhere else... I believe the UK may be the possibility for you... PS: they have a sea everywhere

I didn't mean to be harsh but you have to face reality and the situation that you are in. It's the classic "want" or "need". Sure as a resident I would "want" to have a good salary, nice new hospital, nice patients, near the ocean of a big safe affluent Australian, Canadian, US city....but that is what everyone wants and you need to face reality that residency programs in these areas have already picked US citizen, native born, with connections and family to these areas.
You have to get real and realize that as an IMG foreign citizen you are at the very bottom of the candidate list and that you have to accept anything availabe whether you like it or not.
In order not to throw away your career and all the money your parents spent on you sending you to medical school you need to accept anything available-- you need to try inner city, rural, and the least desirable residencies available in order to get your career going. You need a strategy and not "good luck" to get a residency

Situation a little complicated here but I'm in desperate need of answers...
I am a Canadian citizen who graduated in November from Ross University in the Caribbean.
My step scores were both 231. GPA was 3.8.
All my interviews gave me positive feedback during and after interviews, via email.
I didn't match and now that the first round of SOAP has gone by, I still haven't received any offers.
I applied to psych and family medicine (both really not that competitive)...
What will be my options if I go completely unmatched? I really want to be a psychiatrist. And i honestly don't care where at in the world. I personally do not like the healthcare system in the states so working as a medical officer/intern/resident ANYWHERE ELSE in the world would be ok for me.. if that's possible. any countries recommended?
I'm also open to other options involving either teaching, etc..
I am currently living in central america where I see patients daily as a family practitioner.
Any advice greatly appreciated :) Thank you in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't get it, where did you want to work when you first started med school? People usually go the Caribbean knowing that they will most likely match in the US. We've been told since first semester that it is very difficult for us Canadians to match in Canada, and even when we apply to the US we are at a disadvantage since we need to apply to programs who are willing to sponsor a J1/H1B visa. (I am also a Canadian Ross grad)

I think your options if you go unmatched are basically research or working as a TA at Ross, Step 3/MCQE1/NAC OSCE, and apply again to the US next year. Try to pre match if possible. And frankly your attitude towards the US health care system irritates me, and makes all of us who have worked so hard to improve our reputation as Ross grads (IMG's!!!!) look bad.

Do your chances decrease when you apply a second time In the match? are you able to apply to US MATCH and to the CANADIAN MATCH?

I didn't mean to be harsh but you have to face reality and the situation that you are in. It's the classic "want" or "need". Sure as a resident I would "want" to have a good salary, nice new hospital, nice patients, near the ocean of a big safe affluent Australian, Canadian, US city....but that is what everyone wants and you need to face reality that residency programs in these areas have already picked US citizen, native born, with connections and family to these areas.
You have to get real and realize that as an IMG foreign citizen you are at the very bottom of the candidate list and that you have to accept anything availabe whether you like it or not.
In order not to throw away your career and all the money your parents spent on you sending you to medical school you need to accept anything available-- you need to try inner city, rural, and the least desirable residencies available in order to get your career going. You need a strategy and not "good luck" to get a residency

Thank you for the advice. At least, it was my own money invested in My education and not my parents. Doing it on my own at least exempts me of feeling like I owe people something.

hey
sorry that you got some really harsh replies
see honestly you would be better off either apply in Canada or Try to match again after getting into a few research programs in US, see its not easy anywhere ive just finished my med school in India, im originally from the US and i was planning to go to Aussie but so far ive only got tonns of negative replies about the current situation regarding IMGs who wish to go to Aus, they have alot of their own graduates and they are making it hard for others to get in, i would suggest u contact online recruiting agencies, give in ur details to them and see what they have to say, they might even manage to get you a job if you are lucky,
i hope this helps