Residency in Austria

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maximil

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am 6-th year medical student from EU country (Estonia) and it is time for me to make some though decisions. I hope to continue my post graduate training in Austria.

I want to know the following:
1) Is it very difficult to obtain a residency position in Austria, Vienna as a foreign doctor?
2) What are the working conditions in Austria?
3) How much a regular resident doctor gets paid while doing his subspecialty in Austria?

Also, how exactly does one apply to a residency in Austria? Do I have to find a hospital that's recruiting? Is there a test I'd have to pass?

If someone could explain this to me, I'd really appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Maximil, I am a recent graduate from the Medical University of Vienna. How come you are interested in post-graduate training in Austria? Vienna is certainly a great city to live in during your university years, but much less so for non-Austrian graduates looking for competitive positions in Vienna (which is basically Austria's only 'metropolitan' region and in super high demand). I can explain the situation as it is for Austrian graduates. As an EU citizen, it should be similar for you.

As far as I know the current situation requires graduates to undergo three years of postgraduate training prior to starting residency (so called 'Turnus'). These positions are typically very unattractive as far as learning is concerned. In many hospitals fresh doctors will basically perform activities that are performed by medical personnel in other countries (blood draws, ECGs, administering infusions, etc.).

However, the Medical Universities have restricted admission criteria a lot, so much fewer graduates are available so hospitals are improving their training programs and from what I heard the situation is improving. Again, this is less the case in the region around Vienna, as demand from graduates who want to live here, remains high. Actually, before starting one would have to register in a 'waiting list' and it took typically 2 years before being able to start 'Turnus' in Vienna. Recently, with less graduates this time has come down to approx. six months.

It is much easier to find a "Turnus"-position in the other Austrian states. Particularly the state of Vorarlberg is actively recruiting junior docs and their salary is typically listed as EUR 68'000 as a first year. From what I heard working conditions are good in these hospitals from a workload standpoint. The nature is also quite beautiful but you are very unlikely to be exposed to any 'cutting edge' technologies or research. I assume this is pre-tax so you would end up with approx. EUR 35,000 - 40,000 during first year.

What I described above it the 'typical' pathway that most Austrian graduates take. There are also three University Hospitals, with Vienna's General Hospital being the largest and most research-intensive. The university hospitals can theoretically train their graduates right away, so Turnus is not required in this case. For most specialties, the competition is very high to obtain such position. I know of one Cardiology resident who had to work in research for four years before being accepted. There is a certain degree of intransparency how these positions are allocated and many people suspect favoritism / nepotism to be quite an issue. Pay is also very low, as well as job security.

Altogether, the situations for post-graduate training is unattractive to moderately-attractive with some signs of improvement. There is also the discussion to transform the current Turnus system into a common-trunk which would be recognized as part of specialty training. I am not familiar with the situation in Estonia, but unless you have very compelling reasons to come here and speak German fluently, I would strongly recommend to research alternative options (US/UK/Australia/New Zealand/Scandinavia)

Good luck !

Thanks a lot for your kind reply! It was really helpful for me.
I didn`t know that in Austria you have to undergo three years of postgraduate training prior to starting residency ('Turnus") and it was new for me.

I am also thinking about post-graduate training in Switzerland. Do you know, is the postgraduate training system better in Switzerland?

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Just out of curiosity, Turnus isn't equivalent to rotations you do during the 3rd and 4th year in US medical schools?

Thanks a lot for your kind reply! It was really helpful for me.
I didn`t know that in Austria you have to undergo three years of postgraduate training prior to starting residency ('Turnus") and it was new for me.

I am also thinking about post-graduate training in Switzerland. Do you know, is the postgraduate training system better in Switzerland?

Thanks!
Hi man,,i am also in same situation,did my medicine studies(M.D) from Romania,now want to do residency in Austria or Swiitzerland or in any scandinavian country..So do you have any information,,may i ask you that now in which country are you working.
Thanks a lot and sorry for any disturbance.