Residency in community program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 4th year at a mid tier US school, interested in GI. There are a couple of community programs I'm strongly considering. Assuming I get the nessecary research durkng residency, how much do GI fellowship look down on applicants from community based residencies.

Members don't see this ad.

Please by all means go for a University program (one with it's own GI fellowship) if you have that choice,
Never purposely put yourself at a disadvantage.

Down the line you will have :
- access to better mentors in the field
- more likely to produce more 'meaningful' research
- Increase your chances of matching into GI as an internal candidate
- your LOR's will have more weight and value

I'm a 4th year at a mid tier US school, interested in GI. There are a couple of community programs I'm strongly considering. Assuming I get the nessecary research durkng residency, how much do GI fellowship look down on applicants from community based residencies.

It's not a matter of looking down, it's one of "quality assurance" and brand name.
Think about getting sneakers...would the average joe rather have a pair of Nike or Mizuno?
Mizuno make fine athletic gear, but 9/10 are going to take the Nike pair. Similar situation with UCSF/Michigan/Mayo etc vs Anytown Memorial