Residency in Denmark or Sweden?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turquoise25

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am a GP on a developing country in Europe, outside the EU/EEA zone. I am looking for the best possibility to do a residency in one of the countries stated. I know I have to pass tests to get into any country so I wanted to know which one would be the easiest to get into a residency program. I speak English, French and Italian quite well and I am currently studying danish on my own. I don't want to make a wrong decision and I really want to start a residency as soon as possible ( well I know it will take at least 1 year). It would be great to go to one of the countries I already know the language but I have heard it is hard to get into those countries.

Can you help me with the steps I need to follow to get into these countries? Which one would be best? Which one has the easiest way to get into residency? And what would be the selection criteria for residency?

Hope you help me somehow :( .

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Both are similar. Go with Denmark if you know Danish best. Don't underestimate language skills needed both for patient interaction and for professional career advancement. Residency is a job that you apply to, just as any other job.

Thanks Ivos. I am studying danish and I know I have to be fluent in any language to interact with patients well. I thought if Sweden would be a better choice I would need to start learning it.

I did say "and professional career advancement", as in not only do you need the language to communicate with patients, you have to be really good at it (including pronunciation) to win the respect of your peers. Learning a new language will be a bigger barrier than any difference between Denmark and Sweden.
Also, good luck with your studies!

Reactions: 1 user