Residency in Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nkessel

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
this is to any one in a Michigan program already or just matched.

Can you tell me anything about the program likes dislikes.

To those that just matched: Why did you pick your program?
:)

Members don't see this ad.

You might want to ask mods to move this thread to the residents forum for best replies.

MI is where the first pod residencies were formed, and there are a lot of good pods and respected residency programs there. I will be clerking at a couple, and visiting others, this coming summer :thumbup:

I'm at DMC. I chose it because it is a very well-known program and it is very high volume surgery and very well-rounded. I get tons of forefoot, rearfoot, and ankle. There is a lot of great trauma and a lot of great elective stuff going on.

I rotated and visited a lot of programs around the country where you could have up to 5 or 6 people scrubbing a case. The first thing that impressed me about my program was that the attending would scrub cases with ONE resident and a student (if we had one rotating) and the resident would do the case (including first years).

I guess it all depends on what you are looking for in a program.

Members don't see this ad :)

I just matched with Detroit Medical Center and will be a resident there in a few months. I spent a total of four months at the program so I certainly got to see the negative and positive aspects of the program by the time I left. Jonwil pointed out a lot of the positive things. As far as negatives I would have to say the big thing for me is the location. Detroit has fallen on some tough times and the patient population is not the best. You are exposing yourself to HIV and Hep on an almost daily basis in surgery and many of the patients are very non-compliant. You do get good at managing complications as a result though. It is a very intense surgical program and a lot is expected of you from day one. St Johns north shore and st joseph are a couple of programs worth looking at as well, but if you want a lot of reconstructive rearfoot and ankle exposure you really can't beat DMC.
So as to your question about why did I pick my program, it basically boiled down to which program was going to make me the best trained most well rounded podiatrist. DMC is a program where the residents have multiple high paying offers when they graduate and really can treat anything that walks inthe door.

...St Johns north shore and st joseph are a couple of programs worth looking at as well, but if you want a lot of reconstructive rearfoot and ankle exposure you really can't beat DMC...
:thumbup: This is exactly my understanding^

From everything I've seen and heard, I think Oakwood Annapolis is also a good program that's definitely worth visiting or clerking. Dr. Fallat is fellowship trained and very well published. Their program sent many nice posters to the recent ACFAS meeting, and they have required research for all residents. It also pays well and has CME allowance, so you know you will have good support/funding.

As far as negatives I would have to say the big thing for me is the location. Detroit has fallen on some tough times and the patient population is not the best. You are exposing yourself to HIV and Hep on an almost daily basis in surgery and many of the patients are very non-compliant.

I agree but will add that this patient population is only found at the DMC downtown facilities. The 3 hospitals and 2 surgery centers that we cover in the suburbs have your average middle class patient and is nearly all elective.

Man, can you imagine if we just covered Grace and downtown? :eek: Our program would consist of trauma and infectious disease!!!