Residency in neurosurgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aleache 22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.. I am a medical student in pakistan.i am a good student and have also good grades in past but i want to get residency in Johns Hopkins or Horvard like institutes .. So anyone. Can tell me what should be my score in Steps and research or other important things ? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Since you're an IMG you need to shoot for 260+ on steps and then you will probably have to do a few years of research in neurosurgery at either of those places to publish a ton of papers and get an "in" with the residency director if at all possible. You will need a lot of big names for references. Even then, you will be going against American medical graduates w 260+ and great research and references- and usually they choose AMG over IMG/FMG so it will be an uphill battle. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

well, you certainly know how to set high standards for yourself, with Neurosurg at hopkins
I'd recommend:
- reading sdn (in the neurosurg section too) to gain a better understanding of what it takes to get in
- check out NRMP match data from 2014 online
- it's not only about numbers
- you need some contacts and research w publications!
STILL no guarantees ...very limited # of spots

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi.. I am a medical student in pakistan.i am a good student and have also good grades in past but i want to get residency in Johns Hopkins or Horvard like institutes .. So anyone. Can tell me what should be my score in Steps and research or other important things ? Thanks

Doesn't matter what your step scores are. It will be impossbile for you to match to Horvard especially Horvard neurosurgery.

Reactions: 5 users
Reactions: 1 users