Residency Interview Attire Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ok, I'll cut him some major slack on appearance and dress code since he was going for Trauma/CC.
To be fair, the long hair was, if anything, promoted by me and he put up with a lot of grief from his residency PD because of it, to please me.

Some sort of Fabio fantasy I guess. :p

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Surgeons do not wear "pajamas" in the office when seeing patients. If anything, they tend to dress better than other specialties.

If you want to wear pajamas all day, consider anesthesia or EM.

I'd forgotten about the office. I'm very good with people so it's possible they'll perceive scrubs as a sign of being between surgeries and not laziness.

Couldn't do anesthesia, it's boring unless something goes wrong. EM seems like bouts of intense activity interrupted by waiting for test results.

I'm the laziest dresser ever and surprised DGF hasn't fired me, LOL! I'm that guy who buys 5 identical pants/shirts every 6 months. I don't own a dress shirt that isn't white.

I'm wearing pajamas right now, LOL!

Much of the advice for men goes for women as well, although the latter have more leeway in terms of color.

SHOES
- flats and certainly Danskos are not professional despite what a thousand med students and residents think they're doing during clinic ;)
- unfortunately, heels are considered appropriate for women for interview
- the shoes in the link you provided are…<ahem> unfortunate
- clearly, if you are physically unable to wear heels you do not want to appear disabled by wearing them; you'll need to find some lower heeled comfortable shoes. Cole Haan makes some Nike Air Soles that are comfortable; you've some time to work on that element.
- color: cordovan if wearing navy, otherwise black. Should be darker than your suit.

Are nude heels appropriate for a navy suit?

Members don't see this ad :)
My surgery program is known for being pretty old-school/formal.

You're much more likely to see a surgery resident in a shirt and tie (and white coat) on any given day on the wards than a medicine resident or any other department I know of.
You have to dress up even on the wards?

No, this is not in the South.

Maybe it is institutional specific.

We can spot the male med students planning on going into peds with high specificity based on their beards and bow ties. We literally call it the "peds beard".

They are also the ones who usually show up on day one of the clerkship without a white coat on.

LOL… @oldbearprofessor is this a factor in your ROL?

No, this is not in the South.

Maybe it is institutional specific.

We can spot the male med students planning on going into peds with high specificity based on their beards and bow ties. We literally call it the "peds beard".

They are also the ones who usually show up on day one of the clerkship without a white coat on.
So is it bc they're tired from taking call? Or the need to look like a father figure for children? Or to 100% assure repelling women?

We had to.

In my residency, crubs were only allowed outside the OR if you were on trauma call. One of the hospitals I have privileges at (Scottsdale, of course) has rules about appropriate attire when rounding on patients which includes no scrubs.

My surgery program is known for being pretty old-school/formal.

You're much more likely to see a surgery resident in a shirt and tie (and white coat) on any given day on the wards than a medicine resident or any other department I know of.

It probably gives patients a more confidence.

We had to.

In my residency, crubs were only allowed outside the OR if you were on trauma call. One of the hospitals I have privileges at (Scottsdale, of course) has rules about appropriate attire when rounding on patients which includes no scrubs.
I'm surprised a hospital admin would make a rule about that. I understand if your scrubs were unclean, or had blood on them, etc. but in an inpatient hospital where surgical patients are sick, I doubt they care what you're wearing when they're in pain.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd forgotten about the office. I'm very good with people so it's possible they'll perceive scrubs as a sign of being between surgeries and not laziness.

Probably neither. Out of thousands of patients I've seen in practice, only 2 have commented that they were disappointed that I wasn't wearing scrubs.

You can read the literature for yourself: patients prefer their physicians, including surgeons, well dressed, not wearing scrubs.

I'm wearing pajamas right now, LOL!
Uhmm…its afternoon where you are isn't it? You don't sound like a surgeon if you're still wearing pajamas after noon. ;)

Where I did my intern year (private community hospital), nearly all of the surgeons wore suits to round on patients in the morning. For rounds between cases or after cases were done for the day, they wore scrubs.

Come to think of it, this was the case in medical school too, obviously at a big academic center.

Residents were usually in scrubs during these activities. But never in clinic or during GR/M&M.

I'm surprised a hospital admin would make a rule about that. I understand if your scrubs were unclean, or had blood on them, etc. but in an inpatient hospital where surgical patients are sick, I doubt they care what you're wearing when they're in pain.
I think its because some were coming in on weekends wearing jeans, sweatpants etc. and its Scottsdale.

The no scrubs rule isn't enforced, as far as I can see, because as you mention, its not practical for some specialties.

Like most things, the rule exists so it can be enforced if someone tries to carry it too far and wear dirty, torn, scrubs.

Where I did my intern year (private community hospital), nearly all of the surgeons wore suits to round on patients in the morning. For rounds between cases or after cases were done for the day, they wore scrubs.

Come to think of it, this was the case in medical school too, obviously at a big academic center.

Residents were usually in scrubs during these activities. But never in clinic or during GR/M&M.
I'd expect that more from a private, community hospital for some reason vs. an AMC, where the clientele are quite different.

Probably neither. Out of thousands of patients I've seen in practice, only 2 have commented that they were disappointed that I wasn't wearing scrubs.

You can read the literature for yourself: patients prefer their physicians, including surgeons, well dressed, not wearing scrubs.

Uhmm…its afternoon where you are isn't it? You don't sound like a surgeon if you're still wearing pajamas after noon. ;)
That's we first thought too -- that patients would just think, "Oh, he must be seeing me in between surgeries," as to why their doctor is in scrubs in clinic. Apparently not. The only thing the surgeons gave us (a little) slack on is having a 5 o'clock shadow on the rotation. It seems like a beard grows faster when you're sleep deprived.

I'd expect that more from a private, community hospital for some reason vs. an AMC, where the clientele are quite different.

One of the first things I realized as a preclinical medical student when shadowing surgeons was that they wore suits to see patients in clinic. I remember thinking "huh, I figured surgeons were scrubs all day every day. The fact that they don't have to be dressing up, but they do anyway, seems pretty cool. At the very least, it shows some effort on their part."

That's we first thought too -- that patients would just think, "Oh, he must be seeing me in between surgeries," as to why their doctor is in scrubs in clinic. Apparently not. The only thing the surgeons gave us (a little) slack on is having a 5 o'clock shadow on the rotation. It seems like a beard grows faster when you're sleep deprived.

I suspect in that instance there may be some element of "well he/she is probably rushed and focusing more on the next upcoming case instead of my problem right now."

Reactions: 1 users

Get dressed?! It's only 1PM!! :)

One of the first things I realized as a preclinical medical student when shadowing surgeons was that they wore suits to see patients in clinic. I remember thinking "huh, I figured surgeons were scrubs all day every day. The fact that they don't have to be dressing up, but they do anyway, seems pretty cool. At the very least, it shows some effort on their part."
That surprised me as well, as I used to think that surgeons could give a **** less what patients think bc their skills are irreplaceable. I was also surprised by how much surgeons are REALLY attached to their patient's care. I always had this perception before that they do their surgery thing and when they're done with their job they're done and they move on and patient follows up with their PCP. Oh, that and they always jump to doing surgery but that's actually not true either.

Reactions: 1 users
I mean I am serious. I guess I was thinking for hair up a bun looked better than a pony tail

I have long hair as well (to my mid-back) and I just wear it half up with a clip, similar to this but more polished:

slightwisthalfstep7-8.jpg

Keeps your hair out of your face but your hair is still down.

I agree with WS that you should do whatever is most flattering and comfortable for you. I feel like the sock bun has become the new lazy girl hairstyle and it doesn't scream professional hairstyle to me, but it can be done well. I would go for a low bun and not a high one, something like this:

hqdefault.jpg

AMC =/= county hospital where indigent care is provided to a different "clientele".

I trained at 3 AMCs and all were "fancy" with grand pianos in the lobby, lots of glass and ferns and Starbucks in the lobby.

I stand by my comment above: you don't sound like a surgeon. :p

PJs are more roomy and comfortable.

First thing I do after clinic is change. Rotation that ended Friday was at home so I had to change for errands, doing stuff with the kids, and hanging with friends. On a true away rotation, I pretty much start undressing once hitting the door.

Somewhere there's a nudist colony wanting a doctor. I just have to keep a positive attitude, LOL!

AMC =/= county hospital where indigent care is provided to a different "clientele".

I trained at 3 AMCs and all were "fancy" with grand pianos in the lobby, lots of glass and ferns and Starbucks in the lobby.
Our AMC with the medical school wasn't a county hospital, but the affluent and those of middle class suburbia would eat their arm off before ever stepping into the AMC and only if they had absolutely no choice. Definitely no grand pianos or glass and ferns, but definitely a Starbucks. Varies by city I guess.

It's entirely possible I won't change out of my sweatpants and t-shirt all day today.

Watching football and working on abstracts for AHPBA and SSO.

Will probably crack a beer soon...
Did you sleep in those sweatpants and t-shirt? If so, then you're' still in your pajamas.

I've been out for a hike, showered and am heading out to the pool in my shorts to log some cases for a national registry. I might have a Vodka and some sort of juice myself.

Oh yeah. I meant that this is the male equivalent of PJs.

I'm being a total bum this weekend while my SO is working nights (also explains my posting prevalence this weekend).
You're married?

PJs are more roomy and comfortable.

See I don't buy into the "MCHammer" idea that baggy and roomy is more comfortable. I'd say I'm more comfortable when my clothes are well fitted and flattering.

First thing I do after clinic is change. Rotation that ended Friday was at home so I had to change for errands, doing stuff with the kids, and hanging with friends. On a true away rotation, I pretty much start undressing once hitting the door.

Like southernIM, the process of changing is more onerous to me. Unless I've hit the gym after work, I'll typically stay in my work clothes until bedtime. I like to admire my shoes for as long as possible. :p

Somewhere there's a nudist colony wanting a doctor. I just have to keep a positive attitude, LOL!

Ick. But with the proliferation of "Naked and…" reality shows, I'm sure "Naked Clinic" isn't far away.

Oh yeah. I meant that this is the male equivalent of PJs.

Yes, yes. I understand.

I'm being a total bum this weekend while my SO is working nights (also explains my posting prevalence this weekend).

I posted a lot last night because we went fall shopping since it was a chilly 95 degrees and I was in a sweater mood. So I was rearranging my closet, drinking mango vodka cocktails and posting while he was watching some Steve Martin/Queen Latifah movie and offering advice about what should stay/what I should donate. Exciting Saturday night. :p

They may be young but most of them took a job at J.Crew because they're into fashion. I would not say the same of an employee at men's warehouse.

NB: I was posting at the same time as @southernIM ; yes, that's exactly my point: J Crew employees are a self-selected group. I have seen the same in my friends when we were younger; those who were into fashion tended to work at Patrick James (a favorite for the Sigma Chis), J Crew or small local boutiques and those men are still stylish because they were interested and learned a great deal.

eh I disagree but you're probably mil more stylish than me so whateva. I don't think most 20 year olds know anything about fashion and just might appear to because they wear whatever the store suggests online
Peds man, peds.

Bowtie + the gross peds beard.

They think they look like this:

ryan_gosling_blonde_beard_blue.jpg

They actually look like this:

stock-photo-girl-in-blue-shirt-getting-check-up-at-pediatric-clinic-with-friendly-bearded-young-doctor-white-101943904.jpg

iDSC_5803.jpg

Those dude's beards look like total ****. Neckbeard and the way they trim it on their cheeks(or lack thereof) makes it looks like they have a ovular chin. I have a beard now and it's 10/10 love it

SO = significant other. This can be a spouse or boyfriend/girlfriend.
LOL. I'm never heard of a bf/gf referred to as a significant other. I've heard it more used for spouse or fiancee (more serious relationships).

It's entirely possible I won't change out of my sweatpants and t-shirt all day today.

Watching football and working on abstracts for AHPBA and SSO.

Will probably crack a beer soon...

you aren't a real surgeon then. get in the OR in the next 10 minutes or quit your job

Apparently one of the contestants on VH1s naked dating show attempted to SUE VH1 for emotional damages because they didn't completely blur out her lady bits and her grandma saw her naked on TV.

WTF
Yes and in looking at the photo (yes, I Googled it), she has a case. VH1's editors didn't blur her stuff when they were wrestling on the beach, and you got to see it all of it. They blurred when she stood back up though. Apparently she lost a boyfriend over it.

I haven't been in an OR in like 10 months. I'm getting itchy.
Must be weird entering "normal" life. lol. Probably a good relaxation for the brain as well. 5 years straight GS with no breakpoint? Yikes!

eh I disagree but you're probably mil more stylish than me so whateva. I don't think most 20 year olds know anything about fashion and just might appear to because they wear whatever the store suggests online.

I agree that they are probably more following the rules than someone who is really into fashion and understands it.

However, the argument was that employees at J Crew are more knowledgable than those at MW; I stand by that argument and the posts above from others who have been horribly mis-fit into MW suits attests to that.

I'm not saying that the 20 yo (probably an exaggeration, as the employees at my J Crew would be late 20s) J Crew employee is sophisticated enough to be working at Esquire or Vogue, but they are *generally* a step above.

See I don't buy into the "MCHammer" idea that baggy and roomy is more comfortable. I'd say I'm more comfortable when my clothes are well fitted and flattering.

Like southernIM, the process of changing is more onerous to me. Unless I've hit the gym after work, I'll typically stay in my work clothes until bedtime. I like to admire my shoes for as long as possible. :p

Ick. But with the proliferation of "Naked and…" reality shows, I'm sure "Naked Clinic" isn't far away.

I'm a guy so changing is pretty simple.

They're standard pajamas, not balloon pants from MC Hammer of Rocky. :)

I generally hit the gym in gym clothes. There are areas where showing up in professional dress draws too much attention.

I spend the most time possible barefoot and wear flip-flops whenever possible.

FWIW, My uselessness (when it comes to clothes and shoes) frees up the bathroom and lets DGF have more time to get ready.

I do love watches, though. That's a place I could see spending money.

Yes and in looking at the photo (yes, I Googled it), she has a case. VH1's editors didn't blur her stuff when they were wrestling on the beach, and you got to see it all of it. They blurred when she stood back up though. Apparently she lost a boyfriend over it.

Please don't tell me that she's claiming that her boyfriend broke up with her because her lady bits were seen on tv or that she's upset because her grandmother saw it. If he didn't have a problem with her going on a show naked, why would that bother him?

I haven't been in an OR in like 10 months. I'm getting itchy.

You shouldn't even identify yourself as a surgeon on internet boards then. A real surgeon would start operating on themselves if that were the case.

trolling

Please don't tell me that she's claiming that her boyfriend broke up with her because her lady bits were seen on tv or that she's upset because her grandmother saw it. If he didn't have a problem with her going on a show naked, why would that bother him?
Yup, that's exactly what happened: http://www.lawyersandsettlements.co...t-includes-losing-ideal-jewish-boyfriend.html
Nizewitz is also counting the failure of a “budding relationship” as part of the damage. She had been seeing someone for a month, and “He never called me again after the show aired. I would have hoped we could have had a long-term relationship. He was employed, Jewish, in his 30s and that’s pretty much ideal,” Nizewitz said.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/08/21/dating-naked-lawsuit/
Nizewitz is suing VH1 operator Viacom and two production companies, none of which had comment. The suit filed late Wednesday claims uncensored images of Nizewitz were passed around Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Tumblr after airing on VH1. “Plaintiff… was shocked, horrified and outraged to observe this intrusion into her privacy for all to see,” reads the suit. “Immediately Plaintiff became subject to ridicule by those watching. … Plaintiff has suffered and continues to suffer extreme emotional distress, mental anguish, humiliation and embarrassment. … Defendants knew or reasonably should have known that broadcasting an individual’s vagina and anus on national cable television would cause substantial and severe emotional distress.”

I'm a guy so changing is pretty simple.

I don't know that's the case. Its not like I'm wearing any more than a man - dress, undergarments and shoes; I'm probably wearing less. You've probably a shirt, undershirt, underwear, tie, pants, socks, shoes, and maybe even a jacket.

They're standard pajamas, not balloon pants from MC Hammer of Rocky. :)

Yes, I was teasing you. But I think there's too many people who claim that baggy clothes are somehow more comfortable and easier than dressing nicely.

I generally hit the gym in gym clothes. There are areas where showing up in professional dress draws too much attention.

I think that goes without saying.

I spend the most time possible barefoot and wear flip-flops whenever possible.

FWIW, My uselessness (when it comes to clothes and shoes) frees up the bathroom and lets DGF have more time to get ready.

I do love watches, though. That's a place I could see spending money.

I'm barefoot a lot as well given the weather here but I love me some nice shoes.

BTW, what is DGF? Urban Dictionary provides some less than appealing choices which I assume are not what you are referring to. Designated Girl Friend? Are there Undesignated GFs?

I don't really understand how she has a case when she signed up to participate in a naked dating show...

Right...I mean did she lose a boyfriend because her nudity was not effectively blurred? Or because she was...you know...on a naked dating show?
Bc her contract said that her parts would be blurred, I believe. That's why she was ok with it. She happen to fall down while wrestling on the beach, and it was an editing error that her genitals were not blurred out. I guess that's worth 10 million dollars.

I applied so a program in AZ to be warm, LOL!

Weekends by the pool, in pajamas just sounds right.

Really? This is extremely common.
I usually don't hear guys use the term significant other, unless it's really serious (as in to indirectly tell a woman that's flirting with them to stop). Women, of course, I've heard them use that term much more often.

I don't know that's the case. Its not like I'm wearing any more than a man - dress, undergarments and shoes; I'm probably wearing less. You've probably a shirt, undershirt, underwear, tie, pants, socks, shoes, and maybe even a jacket.

Yes, I was teasing you. But I think there's too many people who claim that baggy clothes are somehow more comfortable and easier than dressing nicely.

I think that goes without saying.

I'm barefoot a lot as well given the weather here but I love me some nice shoes.

BTW, what is DGF? Urban Dictionary provides some less than appealing choices which I assume are not what you are referring to. Designated Girl Friend? Are there Undesignated GFs?

DGF = Dear Girl Friend.

Underwear?!