Residency Interview Attire Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yup, that's exactly what happened: http://www.lawyersandsettlements.co...t-includes-losing-ideal-jewish-boyfriend.html
Nizewitz is also counting the failure of a “budding relationship” as part of the damage. She had been seeing someone for a month, and “He never called me again after the show aired. I would have hoped we could have had a long-term relationship. He was employed, Jewish, in his 30s and that’s pretty much ideal,” Nizewitz said.

LOL.

While I love the description "ideal Jewish boyfriend" is she serious? Did she not think that publicly dating someone else while naked wouldn't be a deal breaker on so many levels, for some many people, including the "ideal Jewish boyfriend"? I don't blame him a bit for not calling her back.

Or maybe he saw her lady bits and decided he wasn't interested. :p

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/08/21/dating-naked-lawsuit/
Nizewitz is suing VH1 operator Viacom and two production companies, none of which had comment. The suit filed late Wednesday claims uncensored images of Nizewitz were passed around Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Tumblr after airing on VH1. “Plaintiff… was shocked, horrified and outraged to observe this intrusion into her privacy for all to see,” reads the suit. “Immediately Plaintiff became subject to ridicule by those watching. … Plaintiff has suffered and continues to suffer extreme emotional distress, mental anguish, humiliation and embarrassment. … Defendants knew or reasonably should have known that broadcasting an individual’s vagina and anus on national cable television would cause substantial and severe emotional distress.”

BS.

If she is running around naked in front of a crew (if you've ever been on a set, you know there are tons of obese camera operators and grips eating doughnuts watching you), then surely she doesn't have a problem being naked in front of people. She acts like she was shooting a Go Pro vid by herself.

Members don't see this ad.

I just think this would fall under the realm of a reasonable risk that she...ahem...exposed herself to by participating in the first place
But what if you were assured that everything would be completely blurred out? It's VH1, an established network. Of course it is the same channel that gave us Flavor of Love and I Love New York, so...

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied so a program in AZ to be warm, LOL!

Weekends by the pool, in pajamas just sounds right.

It's a dry heat. 120 in phoenix is so much nicer than than 95 in miami it's not even close

Reactions: 1 users
LOL.

While I love the description "ideal Jewish boyfriend" is she serious? Did she not think that publicly dating someone else while naked wouldn't be a deal breaker on so many levels, for some many people, including the "ideal Jewish boyfriend"? I don't blame him a bit for not calling her back.

Or maybe he saw her lady bits and decided he wasn't interested. :p

BS.

If she is running around naked in front of a crew (if you've ever been on a set, you know there are tons of obese camera operators and grips eating doughnuts watching you), then surely she doesn't have a problem being naked in front of people. She acts like she was shooting a Go Pro vid by herself.
Apparently the naked part he was ok with. It was when her anus and vagina were exposed completely (and she started getting texts and the picture was plastered across social media) is when he stopped calling.

Sorry, initial mind picture to bolded due to misinterpreting the word grip. :barf:

Apparently the naked part he was ok with. It was when her anus and vagina were exposed completely (and she started getting texts and the picture was plastered across social media) is when he stopped calling.

So then he wasn't the "ideal Jewish boyfriend" for her. And I doubt he was "ok" with her going on a naked dating show. She apparently has in mind the type of man she wants, but doesn't realize that that type of man isn't comfortable with her behavior.

Sorry, initial mind picture to bolded due to misinterpreting the word grip. :barf:

LOL.

I think it's a frivolous lawsuit and a blatant money grab effort. Guess we shall see. Sadly VH1 will probably write off a small settlement as the cost of doing business rather than taking this girl to court and destroying her.
Oh yes, I agree it's definitely a blatant money grab. It's just that she might have a case if her contract says that her parts were to be blurred out and she says that's the only reason she would do it.

Because my eyeballs do not want to see your balls bouncing around (plus isn't a little support more comfortable?).

In the comfort of your own home or a Vh-1 TV show you may do as you please.
Briefs aren't like a bra which is made for breasts. They're constricting. Is the dangling that obvious?

Last edited:
Hah, thanks. I guess it just irritates me that such superficial things as aesthetics truly make an impact in such a logical, objective, and professional career.

Ha!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Briefs aren't like a bra which is made for breasts. They're constricting. Is it that obvious?
Aren't briefs made for men's bodies? I would say that if they're constricting then you're wearing them too tight.

Yes it's very obvious. I can tell you that attendings talked about it during residency and I still have the unfortunate mental picture of my physics TA from premed free balling it under his yellow sweatpants. It was not a pretty picture.

It's especially obvious under scrubs because the material is very thin and sometimes gets wet. You don't need to be built like Jon Hamm for it to be visible.

Aren't briefs made for men's bodies? I would say that if they're constricting then you're wearing them too tight.

Yes it's very obvious. I can tell you that attendings talked about it during residency and I still have the unfortunate mental picture of my physics TA from premed free balling it under his yellow sweatpants. It was not a pretty picture.

It's especially obvious under scrubs because the material is very thin and sometimes gets wet. You don't need to be built like Jon Hamm for it to be visible.

People free ball scrubs? The post pee drip though...

I'm saying they're not like bras where each cup is contoured for one breast. The only reason I wouldn't do it in scrubs in a hospital, is bc an inadvertent hardon situation could occur and it's hard to hide it. Underwear then is essential to cover up.

Well this thread went all sorts of places I would not have anticipated.

We had to.

In my residency, crubs were only allowed outside the OR if you were on trauma call. One of the hospitals I have privileges at (Scottsdale, of course) has rules about appropriate attire when rounding on patients which includes no scrubs.

Who knew, from a city that's 90% Affliction t-shirts and bedazzled 7 jeans

Just say no to mens warehouse.

Their stuff is crap and their sales staff is clueless.

If you're clueless about fashion, odds are you'll walk out of there with an ugly boxy suit that is two sizes too big.

They do have a new Joseph Abboud "Made In America" line is 2 for $900.

Review: http://dappered.com/2014/06/in-review-the-mens-wearhouse-made-in-the-usa-abboud-suit/

I got the slim fit version and it fits reasonably well OTR. Needs legs to be tapered and suit needs to be brought in just a touch. Otherwise surprisingly good quality from MW.

That being said I only got it cause their "clueless staff" made it appear as though the suit was on sale, misled me, then realized their mistake, offered 200 off, I scoffed, then they offered 250 off. Final price was 650 pretax for 2 suits.

Related question - what about beards/facial hair for interviews? Obviously well-trimmed (I'm not some dirty hippie but I do look better with a beard). Safer to go with clean-shaven? If it helps, applying for non-surgical field.

Related question - what about beards/facial hair for interviews? Obviously well-trimmed (I'm not some dirty hippie but I do look better with a beard). Safer to go with clean-shaven? If it helps, applying for non-surgical field.
Clean-shaven for interviews. Period. Unless you look better with a trimmed mustache and trimmed beard.

Because my eyeballs do not want to see your balls bouncing around (plus isn't a little support more comfortable?).

In the comfort of your own home or a Vh-1 TV show you may do as you please.

lol i was just kidding,

That's a pretty good deal at 2/650.

But the difference in the way the OTR jacket drapes/sits from a suit supply jacket is pretty striking:

Abboud-vs-mens-wearhouse.jpg

True but that was the modern slim fit not the slimmer "slim fit".

They have 3 different styles with the word "slim" in it.

One never knows.

Besides there might be someone here who would take it seriously.

if they're gonna free ball because some random med student said free balling is ok then they were already likely gonna free ball. lol a random post is enough persuasion to convince someone to free ball, I feel bad for them.

But according to the article, only the least slim of them offers solids?

They offer solids now, just most stores don't carry them.

Probably cause the typical MW customer wants their suit for 200 bucks.

How about for women? I'm not interviewing until next year but I was just planning on using the suits I wore for med school interviewing. Haven't changed sizes and they have been hanging in a garment bag in my closet since being cleaned after my last interview. Two pantsuits- grey suit with a cream blouse and black suit with a soft pink or cream blouse.

Thoughts on heels? I wore a really comfy pair of 3 inch black heels for my med school interviews, but since then I've broken my ankle and haven't been able to do heels since. I could always try a 1-2 inch or I guess a chunkier heel for more stability, but even this low of a heel makes me cringe. And chunky heels usually don't look as nice to me. I'm assuming flats are out of the question, but flats and Danskos are really the only professional shoes I've been able to stand for the last 2 years.

I'm sure the great @Winged Scapula has opinions :)

Both suits would be fine. I wanted to stand out a bit, so I wore a tailored teal suit with a black blouse and got a lot of compliments on it, even from two program directors (both female). I also wore a pair of 1" heels because I didn't want to kill my feet as some of those tours are very, very long. Many women brought flats with them for the tour and then changed into heels for the interview itself and that was fine too. Also, some of these interviews will be in the winter months, so I would make sure to buy yourself a pair of boots. Even if you want to change into heels when you walk in, wear the boots on the way if you expect to do any walking at all from the parking lot to the building or during the tours (and yes, some places WILL take you outside on walking tours, regardless of weather).

SHOES
- flats and certainly Danskos are not professional despite what a thousand med students and residents think they're doing during clinic ;)

With all due respect, I disagree about flats not being professional. Designer flats are very much professional (they're made for the office) and a lot more comfortable than heels. The trick is finding one that looks professional that you can afford.

- color: cordovan if wearing navy, otherwise black. Should be darker than your suit

I'll defer to you for shoe color on the interview trail, but speaking from a fashion perspective, I disagree with this as well. If you're wearing a gray suit, the shoe should be more of a neutral beige or taupe. It creates a sleeker, longer line while a black shoe cuts you off. If your suit is dark (brown, navy, black), black is fine. If it's any other color, go with taupe.

I think free-balling in the scrubs is a Hopkins thing? I have heard of a number of old men who trained at Hopkins back in the day who all do it.

Or maybe it's just an old-man thing, like hanging out in the gym locker room naked.

You know what, if they can get into Hopkins, they have my permission to free ball. At some point of achievement it's just ok to let your balls hang

With all due respect, I disagree about flats not being professional. Designer flats are very much professional (they're made for the office) and a lot more comfortable than heels. The trick is finding one that looks professional that you can afford.

I'll defer to you for shoe color on the interview trail, but speaking from a fashion perspective, I disagree with this as well. If you're wearing a gray suit, the shoe should be more of a neutral beige or taupe. It creates a sleeker, longer line while a black shoe cuts you off. If your suit is dark (brown, navy, black), black is fine. If it's any other color, go with taupe.

The problem is that we are speaking from an interview perspective, not a fashion one. As has been noted several times in this (and the other threads), what we are attempting to present is the standard, conservative approach; I'm certain you looked lovely in your teal suit. But the minute we start telling the *average* student that wearing such a suit is ok is the minute that someone turns up in a neon green pants suit (or worse). Thus, you cannot extrapolate to what you felt comfortable in and what is usually considered professional interview apparel for medicine.

That is why we say flats are not considered appropriate and your shoes should be darker than the suit. On a day to day basis, I break those rules (and more) all the time (well, not the flats one but thats a personal preference). These are the conventional rules and what most candidates should adhere.

Secondly, you are an intern in a notoriously casual specialty; I am an attending in a notoriously conservative specialty, so you must look at the source. I would venture that a teal suit is a risky choice for most candidates in most specialties especially since most candidates will not have the chutzpah to carry it off.

I have long hair as well (to my mid-back) and I just wear it half up with a clip, similar to this but more polished:

slightwisthalfstep7-8.jpg

Keeps your hair out of your face but your hair is still down.

I agree with WS that you should do whatever is most flattering and comfortable for you. I feel like the sock bun has become the new lazy girl hairstyle and it doesn't scream professional hairstyle to me, but it can be done well. I would go for a low bun and not a high one, something like this:

hqdefault.jpg
No you're exactly right when I said sock bun I meant something like the bun in your photo which looks like it was made with one of those long bristle tubes that you roll your hair over and clip to form a bun. Thanks for the suggestions!

Thinking of charcoal gray. Psych is probably pretty conservative.

Dont wear black with brown. Blue and brown go together, black goes with neither.
The problem is that we are speaking from an interview perspective, not a fashion one. As has been noted several times in this (and the other threads), what we are attempting to present is the standard, conservative approach; I'm certain you looked lovely in your teal suit. But the minute we start telling the *average* student that wearing such a suit is ok is the minute that someone turns up in a neon green pants suit (or worse). Thus, you cannot extrapolate to what you felt comfortable in and what is usually considered professional interview apparel for medicine.

That is why we say flats are not considered appropriate and your shoes should be darker than the suit. On a day to day basis, I break those rules (and more) all the time (well, not the flats one but thats a personal preference). These are the conventional rules and what most candidates should adhere.

Secondly, you are an intern in a notoriously casual specialty; I am an attending in a notoriously conservative specialty, so you must look at the source. I would venture that a teal suit is a risky choice for most candidates in most specialties especially since most candidates will not have the chutzpah to carry it off.

yay I'm learning vocab thanks

Point well taken.

I want to know about the pregnancy interviewing outfits as well. I feel like wearing heels would be just asking for giant blimp feet about 2 hours into the day. My mother, who sews very well, as in appears store bought, not homemade, hand-made me a very nice skirt with jacket, but I doubt it'll fit me after the first month of interviews. I'm going to decide for sure if I need to purchase another one soon, but I'm not even sure where to buy a maternity suit. Motherhood maybe? I can also still fit in non-maternity clothing, but I think it makes me look rather chunky rather than pregnant.

Any advice on what to wear for someone who will be very pregnant for interview season? I'd hoped to avoid buying a new suit at a maternity store, which seems like a huge waste of money. Can I get by with buying a black "maternity jacket" (as formal as one can be without buttons) to go with black dress pants I already own? Or should I bite the bullet and shell out for a suit I'll never wear again?
This quote was supposed to be attached to previous response.

Ok sounds good! I'm a girl with long brown hair and sometimes there are days I just can't stand to have my hair down. Especially if it's an interview in a hot location .
I am like you. My hair is usually always in a ponytail, too. If I'm going to do it for interviews, though, I'm going to flat iron that crap first. I'm probably going to have it half down and clip the top half of it back.

Tailoring shoulders is tricky but can be done; have you considered having the suit tailored to your liking?

I haven't because I kinda figured the shoulders were a lost cause, but I'll look into it.

That's a tough one. I haven't any personal advice (and honestly cannot recall seeing a surgical candidate pregnant during interview season) but you might consider a dress which could be worn afterwards if a wrap or empire waist with jacket rather than a trouser suit.

@Geekchick921 - do you have any advice on this?

I don't, sorry. I didn't get pregnant with Geekling until I was done interviewing for medical school. I have a friend that's about to start interviewing very pregnant, though. I will ask her.

I want to know about the pregnancy interviewing outfits as well. I feel like wearing heels would be just asking for giant blimp feet about 2 hours into the day. My mother, who sews very well, as in appears store bought, not homemade, hand-made me a very nice skirt with jacket, but I doubt it'll fit me after the first month of interviews. I'm going to decide for sure if I need to purchase another one soon, but I'm not even sure where to buy a maternity suit. Motherhood maybe? I can also still fit in non-maternity clothing, but I think it makes me look rather chunky rather than pregnant.

A Pea in the Pod carries work apparel; our PA is very pregnant and has gotten some office appropriate things there.

I went ahead and bought a suit at A Pea in the Pod. I figure an actual suit is likely to make me the least self conscious about my appearance during interviews, so it's probably worth spending some money on never-to-be-worn-again clothes. I found a cheap (in price and I'm sure quality) suit there that will do the job. Frankly I wasn't particularly impressed with their suiting options but if you need a maternity suit they do carry them.

If I were in the "chunky" stage I'd probably just wear a normal suit, but obviously that's a matter of personal preference. If your mom is willing to make you another skirt for the latter part of interview season, you could probably just wear the same jacket, open if need be.

that shirt looks casual to me. the color probably doesn't help, it just doesn't look good with a tie to me.

That shirt looks fairly good imo, the pocket doesn't stick out terribly like they tend to in a lot of shirts, but in general I think pocketless shirts are more attractive

I agree with this. I don't think pocketed shirts are professional.

that shirt looks casual to me. the color probably doesn't help, it just doesn't look good with a tie to me.

I agree with this. I don't think pocketed shirts are professional.

That shirt is literally the standard of professional men's dress shirts.

Yes, it's perfect.

I have that shirt in Oxford blue, light blue, and white. I think light blue and white are probably the best for interviews, but the Oxford blue is still good (and is my workhorse dress shirt).

Reactions: 2 users
That shirt is literally the standard of professional men's dress shirts.

Yes, it's perfect.

I have that shirt in Oxford blue, light blue, and white. I think light blue and white are probably the best for interviews, but the Oxford blue is still good (and is my workhorse dress shirt).
Had no idea people outside of Oxford referred to it as Oxford blue (granted, I'm a woman who barely knows anything about women's fashion, much less men's), but as someone who studied at Oxford, it makes me super happy to hear people refer to it as such (and to not refer to light blue as Cambridge blue - take that, tabs!).

...yeah sorry I have nothing else to contribute other than thanks to everyone who contributed; I'm several years out still but this was super helpful! :)