Residency Interview Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TeaKae

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've already talked with some of the residents at my home program about this, but I wanted to get a broader opinion, and maybe input from some attendings as well.

I have my heart set on PM&R and am open to going pretty much anywhere to do a residency in the field I've fallen for. Here's my situation:

I'm currently a 3rd year MD student, and recently found out I'm pregnant. We didn't plan it; in fact, I was barely off of my pill waiting to get an IUD, and BAM! (Oh, St. Patty's day...) Anyway, considering my advancing age (30, I changed career paths), we've decided to go through with the pregnancy and are very happy about it. My concern is that my due date is the first week of December, which puts me in the ginormous and very obviously showing category while on interviews. I am concerned/afraid that this will put me at a disadvantage with my interviews. Will PDs and other residents judge me? I mean, by the time I start the program, junior will be 2, so I would hope it's not a huge deal. But still, I worry. Is it bad form to interview while about to pop? Will I be at risk of not matching because of it? Will it distract from everything else I have to offer as a candidate (not that I'm some superstart applicant to begin with, furthering my unease)? I really do not want to take a year off. I'm eager to start my career learning about the brand of medicine that's reminded me why I wanted to practice medicine in the first place. :shrug:

Anyway, I've rambled and poured my heart out here, and now you'll all know my secret SDN identity if I score an interview with your program, but it's a sacrifice I was willing to make for some solid advice. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

My experience on the interview trail was that there are a lot of cool people in PM&R. I don't think you will receive any harsh judgments along the way. Obviously you will stand out. No one is going to forget "the candidate who gave birth on the tour." :) Who knows how this will play. While it's technically not supposed to enter into the decision making process, some may worry about you having a young child during your internship year and if that might slow you down at all, while others may hold you on a pedestal for being a kick-ass doctor-mom. Either way, people will remember you, and as long as you interview well, make a good impression, and are a good candidate, that is good. So on balance, I don't think it will hurt your application.

But... I think the problem you're going to run into is the traveling. Interview season is the end of Nov to the end of Jan, and maybe just a few days into Feb. Dec and early Jan are prime-time. This could be a tough time for you to be doing a ton of traveling. You'll deal with that when the time comes, but give it some thought.

And... keep in mind you'll need a PGY-1 position as well. They may scrutinize your situation lot more closely, since you'd be starting with them just 6-7 short months later. Whether they ask you or not, they will likely want to know you have a strong support system and a clear plan in place for how you will get through internship. Others have done it before you and you may want to seek their advice.

FWIW, 2 more things: 1) The details of how/why you got pregnant are personal. Don't feel compelled to share those. It's nobody's business and it's not really pertinent, and on the interview trail could distract from the rest of your story. 2) If you found the timing was such that you wanted/needed to take a year off to settle into mom-hood before starting your internship (aka- hell), I don't think it would be the end of the world. I know you don't want to slow down your training, but one year is no big deal - you've got your whole career ahead of you.

Will some PDs judge you? Yes. Should they? No.

Residents with small kids, particularly female residents, tend to take off more unexpected time than others. They cannot legally make that part of their decision process, but it's almost impossible to prove.

Due date of 1st Week of Dec, but what if the baby comes early? Or late? Tough spot to be in.

Do you want to be flying to another part of the country within a couple weeks of your due date? I don't know any OB who would give their blessing on that. You'll likely need to be quite flexible in your interviewing plans.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have November and December off for interviewing. As far as delivery plans, I figure I can pick a stretch of days where I have no interviews lined up, and just go in for induction. I realize it may not work out as ideally as this--but a plan is better than no plan. I'm lucky in that my partner has a flexible schedule; he is able to take time off, travel with me if needed, etc.

@Prof Moriarty--I included the details in my post just for entertainment/curiosity satisfaction value. I don't always overshare in real life! But yes, I know it'll be a little tougher of a situation as far as lockin the the TY/PGY1 spot. I'm hoping to stay around my home program for that, but of course will have backups. I'm not the type of girl who's going to be taking a ton of time off and blowing off my career, but I'm sure convincing others will be tough, as they don't know where I come from or who I am. And I am one tough mother...

Anyway, thanks to you both for your honest input. I appreciate it.

this isnt the 50's. i think you'll be fine. i know if i were a program director and a woman came in 8 or 9 months pregnant, id be impressed that she could keep it together, rather than as a negative.

and btw, dont settle for just "any" program. there are a LOT of crappy ones out there, and relatively few good ones. even if you arent the best candidate, at least aim for the top of the heap.

Worst thing I have ever heard a doctor say, "If I had known she was pregnant I wouldnt have hired her" so yes it may affect you some. However, you probably wouldnt want a PD like that anyway.

Also think ahead since I dont think you are supposed to fly while in the third trimester so you may need more time to drive all over the country.