Residency Interview Suits and Watches

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RadicalRadon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
sick brag, yo

I don't mean it to be. Just wondering what colors/styles people are wearing. I was wondering if those suits I posted are not "conservative" enough. I saw people posting about ridiculously expensive watches in the watch thread a while back, so I didn't think it would be inappropriate to post, considering you can get these things on sale/clearance/used.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That first watch may be a very nice and expensive watch, but it is not a dress watch. It is unlikely that most interviewers would notice, but it is still tacky.

You really like pinstripe suits it seems. Very thin pinstripes can be okay, but make sure they aren't too wide or you'll look like a clown. Solid navy blue, grey or black suits are usually the safest bet. That said, your interviewers are not the fashion police, just wear something that looks professional.

Your goal with residency interviews is to look pretty boring. I know the skinny suits are in right now, but they'll look dated in just a few years. Color: charcoal. Works equally well for interviews, weddings, funerals, and just about everything else. Brand: no need to break the bank, especially since your odds of gaining or losing large amounts of weight in residency approach 100%. Brooks Brothers, a major department store, or even Men's Wearhouse can make you look perfectly snappy.

Watch is optional these days. I personally prefer the Victorinox Officer's series. They cost some dough but look totally professional and will last for many years.

I like the first zegna suit, its more of a dark blue than navy on my phone, though. I think the color and fit is nice.

I exclusively wore a navy brioni suit on residency interviews, usually with a light blue, lavender, or white shirt and a navy polka dot tie, but sometimes I'd match program colors (red for Wisconsin or Stanford, purple for nyu and Washington, etc), black ferragamo tramezza cap toes, and white linen pocket square.

These are the three watches I wore during residency interviews:

IWC Portuguese Chrono:

382820d1296739164-what-iwc-owners-drive-drove-iwc-portuguese-automatic-chrono-1.jpg

IWC Portuguese 7 Day:

5001-06_main-500x500.jpg

IWC Big Pilot:

500401.jpg

Last edited:
Your goal with residency interviews is to look pretty boring. I know the skinny suits are in right now, but they'll look dated in just a few years. Color: charcoal. Works equally well for interviews, weddings, funerals, and just about everything else. Brand: no need to break the bank, especially since your odds of gaining or losing large amounts of weight in residency approach 100%. Brooks Brothers, a major department store, or even Men's Wearhouse can make you look perfectly snappy.

I agree with this, I think the goal is for your clothes to make you fit in rather than stand out. I would avoid adding the complicating factor of over or underdressing and let the focus be on you as an applicant. I went with an inexpensive store-bought black suit that fit well except for length and then paid the $40 or whatever to have the store tailor alter it. The total cost was something under $200 I think.

I agree with this, I think the goal is for your clothes to make you fit in rather than stand out. I would avoid adding the complicating factor of over or underdressing and let the focus be on you as an applicant. I went with an inexpensive store-bought black suit that fit well except for length and then paid the $40 or whatever to have the store tailor alter it. The total cost was something under $200 I think.

I was told that a black suit to an interview is a bad thing. Black is for the most formal occasions. Interviews would be charcoal or navy. I chose navy with pinstripes.

I got in on the Men's Warehouse buy-one-get-a-second-free sale. This allowed my college age son to get a suit for free. Yes, I am a non-traditional. :)

I only have one watch. It is this one: http://www.movado.com/find-a-watch/datron-0606477.html It will have to do...

dsoz

I like the first zegna suit, its more of a dark blue than navy on my phone, though. I think the color and fit is nice.

I exclusively wore a navy brioni suit on residency interviews, usually with a light blue, lavender, or white shirt and a navy polka dot tie, but sometimes I'd match program colors (red for Wisconsin or Stanford, purple for nyu and Washington, etc), black ferragamo tramezza cap toes, and white linen pocket square.

IWC Portuguese Chrono:

382820d1296739164-what-iwc-owners-drive-drove-iwc-portuguese-automatic-chrono-1.jpg

IWC Portuguese 7 Day:

5001-06_main-500x500.jpg

IWC Big Pilot:

500401.jpg

that blue IWC is breathtaking and would match that first zegna suit, which is also my favorite. I really like that suit, but I worry that it isn't conservative enough. I think I'd need to try it on in person to tell. My guess is it looks very professional in person, since it's hard to convey through internet pics.

where did you get your IWC watches? I can't seem to find them any cheaper than 5-6k.

that blue IWC is breathtaking and would match that first zegna suit, which is also my favorite. I really like that suit, but I worry that it isn't conservative enough. I think I'd need to try it on in person to tell. My guess is it looks very professional in person, since it's hard to convey through internet pics.

where did you get your IWC watches? I can't seem to find them any cheaper than 5-6k.

all you guys are just nuts. Having three $5k watches? How's daddy's money treating you all...

Look OP, get a suit you like and can wear more than just on residency interviews. You can easily get a similar appearing suit for half the price. I don't think your average joe interviewer on a academic doc's salary wearing a basic dress outfit (maybe $150 worth of clothes) is going to like seeing a guy sitting in front of him in $6k worth of apparel. Stick to basic nice suit of whatever flavor you think professional ($500) and then a nice looking watch which most likely no one will even notice. Jeez.

I got my IWC watches at the boutiques in Geneva and NYC. I also have a pilot's watch Chrono, FA Jones, and a minute repeater. IWCs make up the majority of my dress watches, but I like AP and Panerai for casual. I think the Chrono retails around 7k but you can get a Portofino for much less.

How rich are your parents where you can afford to wear literally $10,000 in clothes and fashion accessories to interview for a residency position that pays $50,000 a year?

Members don't see this ad :)
all you guys are just nuts. Having three $5k watches? How's daddy's money treating you all...

Look OP, get a suit you like and can wear more than just on residency interviews. You can easily get a similar appearing suit for half the price. I don't think your average joe interviewer on a academic doc's salary wearing a basic dress outfit (maybe $150 worth of clothes) is going to like seeing a guy sitting in front of him in $6k worth of apparel. Stick to basic nice suit of whatever flavor you think professional ($500) and then a nice looking watch which most likely no one will even notice. Jeez.

Buying a 2.5k suit is really not that different than buying a 2.5k mac, IMO. It's important to look nice. I think medical students don't necessarily appreciate this.

lol, fwiw, I'm using my own money from a year out for my apparel. I view it as kind of my first nice suit. A nice suit can last a lifetime with proper care, assuming you don't balloon up.

Buying a 2.5k suit is really not that different than buying a 2.5k mac, IMO. It's important to look nice. I think medical students don't necessarily appreciate this.

What an awful comparison. For one, there is no need to spend 2.5K on a Mac. Even if you do, it's something you will use day in and day out for years, which you cannot say about a suit. And there is no $300 version that will get the job done just fine, unlike a suit.

Want to drop 2.5K on a suit? Great. Do it when you're rolling in greenbacks and have a steady supply of occasions to use it. Otherwise you're just wasting your money.

What an awful comparison. For one, there is no need to spend 2.5K on a Mac. Even if you do, it's something you will use day in and day out for years, which you cannot say about a suit. And there is no $300 version that will get the job done just fine, unlike a suit.

Want to drop 2.5K on a suit? Great. Do it when you're rolling in greenbacks and have a steady supply of occasions to use it. Otherwise you're just wasting your money.

True enough. I guess we all have our vices. I have some extra money to spend, and this where I feel it'll make me happy. :shrug:

those suits are an order of magnitude more expensive than the three suits i own. you can get a nice fashionable suit for $200-300 that will get the job done just fine. stay away from men's warehouse and jos A bank because they sell boxy garbage. if you go to a store like century 21 or SIMS you can get a great deal on a nice suit.

I worked in finance for about 8 years prior to med school, so I'm in a different place financially than most residents.

How rich are your parents where you can afford to wear literally $10,000 in clothes and fashion accessories to interview for a residency position that pays $50,000 a year?

This op reaches a db level of 10,000.

Anyone caught wearing such pretentiousness when interviewing with me gets an automatic dq.

Reactions: 1 users
I worked in PE and comsulting for years; i don't advise buying those watches as a premed. That being said, a nice watch like a Portofino will serve you well for years.

Idk, most people will think a rolex submariner is more expensive than any of the watches I posted or this one below which I wore occasionally. The only comments I got on the interview trail about watches were universally positive. I tended to wear sports watches like the 2nd one below (probably my fav casual watch at the moment) to pre-interview dinners and got occasional positive comments from residents on those as well.

Datograph_Perpetual_frontal.jpg

PANERAI_LUMINOR_CHRONO_DAYLIGHt1.jpg

Last edited:
drizzt, stop being so modest.

The guy asked a specific question and I answered it. If you don't want to read it, you don't have to.

Regarding the OPs specific question, I think the Zegnas are fine suits, and perfectly conservative enough for interviews. I prefer either a Roman or Neapoitalian shoulder, but the Zegna certainly does the job.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I worked in finance for about 8 years prior to med school, so I'm in a different place financially than most residents.

why did you switch into medicine if your career in finance was going so well? just curious. and do you think it was worth it in the end

why did you switch into medicine if your career in finance was going so well? just curious. and do you think it was worth it in the end

I'm still involved in a number of nice projects in finance, just not what I wanted to be doing full time. I am enjoying my new career.

I'm still involved in a number of nice projects in finance, just not what I wanted to be doing full time. I am enjoying my new career.

what was unsatisfying about doing it full time? and what kind of projects are you involved in right now? sorry for all the questions and steering the thread off topic lol, but i'm still deciding my career path..

Eff Jalby. Drizzt needs an AMA thread, stat.

what was unsatisfying about doing it full time? and what kind of projects are you involved in right now? sorry for all the questions and steering the thread off topic lol, but i'm still deciding my career path..

It was boring. Lucrative ones.

It was boring. Lucrative ones.

What I find more interesting is that you were able to move to Madtown after 8 years in NYC. That must have been different... lol.

Thanks for sharing your advice/experiences. I have a similar background (finance>medicine), but my transition was a lot faster than yours! Medicine is still worth it for the intellectual challenge, considering it's not necessarily hard to get rich.

Word of advice OP- you know your budget and what you can afford, but like others have said, try not to stand out too much. As one interviewer told me, she had a girl who interviewed in these awesome boots. She was dressed appropriately - not flashy or over the top, but the boots stood out. She complimented the girl on the boots, and they got to talking about fashion. The girl was personable and she liked her, but after the interview she started thinking about whether the girl could cut it in a tough surgical residency that was male dominated, how was she able to afford those boots (and by now she had noticed the purse and other accessories), etc etc. In the end, although she liked the girl, the whole interview went by and she had not gained any new positive info to add to her file.

Bottom line- let the focus of your interview be on what you bring to the table, not your clothes.

Word of advice OP- you know your budget and what you can afford, but like others have said, try not to stand out too much. As one interviewer told me, she had a girl who interviewed in these awesome boots. She was dressed appropriately - not flashy or over the top, but the boots stood out. She complimented the girl on the boots, and they got to talking about fashion. The girl was personable and she liked her, but after the interview she started thinking about whether the girl could cut it in a tough surgical residency that was male dominated, how was she able to afford those boots (and by now she had noticed the purse and other accessories), etc etc. In the end, although she liked the girl, the whole interview went by and she had not gained any new positive info to add to her file.

Bottom line- let the focus of your interview be on what you bring to the table, not your clothes.

I agree with this. I think it's good advice. If that's how the interview starts though, you can always gently steer it back to your CV/attributes. It sounds like this particular person got caught up in talking about fashion a bit too much...

I'm reminded of a hilarious thread in pre-allo when I was applying to medical school. Someone in the "interview apparel" thread linked to a discussion on a different forum that was obsessed with designer suits where they were talking about said SDN "interview apparel" thread. It was a bunch of douche-nozzles talking about how we should all be getting mid-four-digit suits rather than the ~$500 ones we were discussing and making fun of our discussions of appropriate colors and such. One of said douche-nozzles made an SDN account and started giving us similar "advice" that was borderline ridiculous (like wearing a watch with a rubber band). Their thread included a bunch of stuff about how "all doctors don't know how to dress right anyway".

I don't care if you end up a spine surgeon earning $3mil per year, I can see absolutely no reason to ever spend more than $600 on a suit or ~$100 on a watch (unless you're buying a watch for something like scuba diving...). And you know what? Most attendings would agree. The people interviewing you won't be able to tell a difference between your $6000 suit and a $600 (or $200...) one, and even if they could, they'd probably realize that only a pretentious asswipe would wear $10k worth of stuff to a residency interview.

Last edited:

I think all those suits are appropriate (if maybe too expensive). They're not as conservative as they could be, but I don't think they're too loud.

I wouldn't go with any of those watches though. The Tag is nice, but it's busy, and too big. A formal watch should be thin and simple. I like those IWCs, but they seem over the top with a suit unless you have giant wrists.

This guy's criteria on pages 2 & 3 for a formal watch seem to be pretty on target: http://www.askmen.com/fashion/trend...atch-build-the-ultimate-watch-collection.html

What I find more interesting is that you were able to move to Madtown after 8 years in NYC. That must have been different... lol.

Thanks for sharing your advice/experiences. I have a similar background (finance>medicine), but my transition was a lot faster than yours! Medicine is still worth it for the intellectual challenge, considering it's not necessarily hard to get rich.

I was abroad and in Los Angeles for the majority of the time, was in NYC for the first couple though.

Are watches something important to wear to interviews? I wasn't planning on wearing one at all since I don't in my day to day life and don't own one. Would it matter male vs. female applicant?

People spend money on what they want. Some people want the baller house with very expensive furnishings, others like cars, golf clubs, travel, whatever. Others like clothing and accessories. I generally agree that the majority of doctors are not the most fashionable but I've seen my fair share of Lange, Breguet, and Patek watches on the wards. My interviewer at one program was wearing a vintage Breguet tourbillion that was worth 7 figures.

I'm reminded of a hilarious thread in pre-allo when I was applying to medical school. Someone in the "interview apparel" thread linked to a discussion on a different forum that was obsessed with designer suits where they were talking about said SDN "interview apparel" thread. It was a bunch of douche-nozzles talking about how we should all be getting mid-four-digit suits rather than the ~$500 ones we were discussing and making fun of our discussions of appropriate colors and such. One of said douche-nozzles made an SDN account and started giving us similar "advice" that was borderline ridiculous (like wearing a watch with a rubber band). Their thread included a bunch of stuff about how "all doctors don't know how to dress right anyway".

I don't care if you end up a spine surgeon earning $3mil per year, I can see absolutely no reason to ever spend more than $600 on a suit or ~$100 on a watch (unless you're buying a watch for something like scuba diving...). And you know what? Most attendings would agree. The people interviewing you won't be able to tell a difference between your $6000 suit and a $600 (or $200...) one, and even if they could, they'd probably realize that only a pretentious asswipe would wear $10k worth of stuff to a residency interview.

The Portuguese is 40mm, so not a huge watch. The 7 hour is not too much bigger, but thick. The big pilot is pretty big, but I have pretty big wrists.

I think all those suits are appropriate (if maybe too expensive). They're not as conservative as they could be, but I don't think they're too loud.

I wouldn't go with any of those watches though. The Tag is nice, but it's busy, and too big. A formal watch should be thin and simple. I like those IWCs, but they seem over the top with a suit unless you have giant wrists.

This guy's criteria on pages 2 & 3 for a formal watch seem to be pretty on target: http://www.askmen.com/fashion/trend...atch-build-the-ultimate-watch-collection.html

People spend money on what they want. Some people want the baller house with very expensive furnishings, others like cars, golf clubs, travel, whatever. Others like clothing and accessories. I generally agree that the majority of doctors are not the most fashionable but I've seen my fair share of Lange, Breguet, and Patek watches on the wards. My interviewer at one program was wearing a vintage Breguet tourbillion that was worth 7 figures.

That's crazy, although it might be a replica?

That's crazy, although it might be a replica?

Anything's possible, but I doubt it, this guy is a huge name in the field with 50+ patents. It's a lot more likely he bought it way back when it wasn't as expensive.

what's the appeal of buying a $15k+ watch? i don't mean to ask this in a demeaning way. i'm genuinely interested in why people do this

I enjoy the craftsmanship that goes into artisan goods. It's nice to own things that are handmade and not mass produced garbage. Also, if you're not going to enjoy the fruits of your labor, what's the point in hard work?

what's the appeal of buying a $15k+ watch? i don't mean to ask this in a demeaning way. i'm genuinely interested in why people do this

I enjoy the craftsmanship that goes into artisan goods. It's nice to own things that are handmade and not mass produced garbage. Also, if you're not going to enjoy the fruits of your labor, what's the point in hard work?

fair enough. how much of a lifestyle change have you had/anticipate having, living on a resident/future attending's salary? i'm sorry to be bombarding you with questions lol

fair enough. how much of a lifestyle change have you had/anticipate having, living on a resident/future attending's salary? i'm sorry to be bombarding you with questions lol

None. My resident salary represents a small fraction of my overall income. The lack of schedule flexibility is a much bigger impediment.

None. My resident salary represents a small fraction of my overall income. The lack of schedule flexibility is a much bigger impediment.

Go on...

You're making me regret my sh:tty undergrad basic science degree. Should've done finance...

It isn't what it once was, but I got in on some of the glory days of IB, PE, and strategy consulting and some IPOs, like google, for example.

Go on...

You're making me regret my sh:tty undergrad basic science degree. Should've done finance...

the appeal of $15k watches is that that Portuguese chrono is facking gorgeous and I'm going to stab drizzt and steal it from him if I ever meet him.

Any thoughts on how to transport these suits for interviews? What kind of luggage would be best? Garment? Or a roller with it folded inside?

Any thoughts on how to transport these suits for interviews? What kind of luggage would be best? Garment? Or a roller with it folded inside?

I have this in black ballistic nylon for interviews. Its a lot more functional than the graphite damier luggage I use more casually.

http://www.luggagepros.com/briggs-and-riley-baseline-22-carry-on-upright-garment-bag.shtml

I used to use this but like the versatility of the Briggs more.

http://www.luggagepros.com/tumi-alpha-wheeled-carry-on-garment-bag-1.shtml

oh I agree with you on the 2.5k mac stuff. Such a waste of money. My desktop computer cost about 1k but should be good for at least 5-7 years and can be upgraded. Most mac kids want a new one every other year for just slight upgrades.

I just think that amount of money for a suit when you are going to have loans (well, maybe you don't but most do) is too much. Honestly it's too much for pretty much everyone. Unless you're some big shot who earns >500k a year spending that kind of money on one suit you will only wear occasionally is simply too much.

But that's just my opinion. You can spend your money how you please. I think a person can look just as nice in more reasonably priced clothing and no one will be the wiser.

And on the watch, what you could do to get a deal is get a used one on ebay. People are selling decent watches all the time there. I got a normally $250 swiss army watch for $40 and it looks pretty dang nice. When I point it out to people no one ever knows that it was used. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles but is elegant looking and something I wouldn't cry over if it happened to get stolen or ruined when on the job.

Yeah, I feel you and generally agree with your sentiments. I'm thinking the 1.5-3k range for the suit. I probably won't go above that for the watch either. I'm not a timepiece connoisseur quite like drizzt (although maybe one day when I have the income). You are right about no loans/debt, and this year I have some income I don't want to retain as savings. I'm putting it towards dress clothes. Nothing wrong with looking nice and feeling confident during interviews.

oh I agree with you on the 2.5k mac stuff. Such a waste of money. My desktop computer cost about 1k but should be good for at least 5-7 years and can be upgraded. Most mac kids want a new one every other year for just slight upgrades.

I just think that amount of money for a suit when you are going to have loans (well, maybe you don't but most do) is too much. Honestly it's too much for pretty much everyone. Unless you're some big shot who earns >500k a year spending that kind of money on one suit you will only wear occasionally is simply too much.

But that's just my opinion. You can spend your money how you please. I think a person can look just as nice in more reasonably priced clothing and no one will be the wiser.

And on the watch, what you could do to get a deal is get a used one on ebay. People are selling decent watches all the time there. I got a normally $250 swiss army watch for $40 and it looks pretty dang nice. When I point it out to people no one ever knows that it was used. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles but is elegant looking and something I wouldn't cry over if it happened to get stolen or ruined when on the job.