Residency Interviews & Traveling Costs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Postictal Raiden

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reading through the residency forum, I realized that many people apply to 30+ residency programs and end up going on 15+ interviews. If we assume that most of these will require traveling and lodging, then we are talking about $10K+ to afford for all this. The student budget at some schools is already tight enough to survive decently on as a single person, let alone as someone with wife and kids. How can someone apply and interview broadly without going homeless?

Members don't see this ad.

You get another loan, or you call grandma. Banks love 4th year med students.

Reactions: 1 user
The school may increase your loan for that particular semester/quarter to take the interview season into account. At least my school does.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at roughly 25 programs. I spent around 10k on travel/hotels, and probably another 1.5k on new clothing (suit, shirts, ties, shoes, watch, etc.). Many programs will provide you with a free hotel room and dinner. If you stay regional, you can just drive to all of your interviews, and it probably wouldn't cost very much. I applied all over the country, however.

I interviewed at roughly 25 programs. I spent around 10k on travel/hotels, and probably another 1.5k on new clothing (suit, shirts, ties, shoes, watch, etc.). Many programs will provide you with a free hotel room and dinner. If you stay regional, you can just drive to all of your interviews, and it probably wouldn't cost very much. I applied all over the country, however.

How did you afford this additional 10K? Did your school allow you to request more loans?

Finally! I can justify buying a new expensive watch just in time for interview season. Time to go to Neiman Marcus y'all!

Have you considered NHSC? I know it's primary care but if you're worried about debt they pay all tuition and fees along with a monthly stipend. It seems that talking to people at my school, it's not THAT competitive and seems to have less strings than HPSP.

Have you considered NHSC? I know it's primary care but if you're worried about debt they pay all tuition and fees along with a monthly stipend. It seems that talking to people at my school, it's not THAT competitive and seems to have less strings than HPSP.

It's definitely a great option to anyone welling to commit to PC medicine. However, I can't make such a commitment with my mind being set on pursuing surgery. I realize that there's a high chance I change my mind in med school, but I don't want to limit my options. I would prefer to practice in underserved and rural areas after I finish residency, take advantage of the pay differential and loan repayment incentives, and have my debt paid off in few years than committing my career to a specialty I that I may not be interested in pursing.

Reactions: 2 users
I knew a doctor that did that, later got a fellowship and had huge penalties for repayment. I guess if you are certain you want to do a certain specialty, that would be fine. At this point though, how many people are 100% certain that they won't have doubts?

In a nutshell.........

Interviews suck......a lot.

By your 5th one you will want to bang your head against the wall the entire day. The worst ones make you go to their lectures!!!!!!!!!!!!

It all costs a lot of money, but if you apply to one particular region you can keep costs down by driving. Also several of my interviews provided hotel accommodations, but those were only in the more rural locations. Competitive programs provide nothing and basically tell you to suck it.

HUGE PEARL: Make sure you are scheduled for rotations during interview season that will turn a blind eye about being gone for interviews. My schools official policy was that residency interviews were not a valid reason for absence (because they are on cloud 9, seriously out of their mind). Most rotations understand, but you will run across a few that won't accept you having to travel for an interview. Those people suck, you should avoid them. This can be especially tricky for us DOs because interview season is also audition season........

So in summation

Interviews SUCK! Have fun.

In a nutshell.........

Interveiws suck......a lot.

By your 5th one you will want to bang your head against the wall the entire day. The worst ones make you go to their lectures!!!!!!!!!!!!

It all costs a lot of money, but if you apply to one particular region you can keep costs down by driving. Also several of my interveiws provided hotel accommodations, but those were only in the more rural locations. Competitive programs provide nothing and basically tell you to suck it.

HUGE PEARL: Make sure you are scheduled for rotations during interveiw season that will turn a blind eye about being gone for interveiws. My schools official policy was that residency interveiws were not a valid reason for absence (because they are on cloud 9, seriously out of their mind). Most rotations understand, but you will run across a few that won't accept you having to travel for an interveiw. Those people suck, you should avoid them. This can be especially tricky for us DOs because interveiw season is also audition season........

So in summation

Interveiws SUCK! Have fun.

Those that tolerate absences, how many days off do they allow you to take off for every scheduled interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
In a nutshell.........

Interviews suck......a lot.

By yer 5th one you will want to bang yer head against the wall the entire day. The worst ones make you go to their lectures!!!!!!!!!!!!

It all costs a lot of money, but if you apply to one particular region you can keep costs down by drivin'. Also several of my interviews provided hotel accommodations, but those were only in the more rural locations. Competitive programs provide nothin' and basically tell you to suck it.

HUGE PEARL: Make sure you be scheduled for rotations durin' interview season that will turn a blind aye aye me hardies about bein' gone for interviews. My schools official policy was that residency interviews were not a valid reason for absence (because they be on cloud 9, seriously out of their mind). Most rotations understand, but you will run across a few that won't accept you havin' to travel for an interview. Those people suck, you should avoid them. This can be especially tricky for us DOs because interview season be also audition season........

So in summation

Interviews SUCK! Have fun.

Honestly how can interviews not be an excuse? Blows my mind! Does the school want you to not match? Do they want their match rate to go down? Also, how can rotations care. "Lulz no you're not allowed to interview for your first job as a doctor because we're teaching you to be a doctor."

Those that tolerate absences, how many days off do they allow ye to take off for every scheduled interview?
Depends on the preceptor. I know some fourth years got preceptors who didn't care one bit if they were there or not. They interviewed all throughout rotations. Others weren't so lucky and had to make up all their missed days.

Depends on t' preceptor. me know some fourth years got preceptors who didn't care one bit if they were thar or not. They interviewed all throughout rotations. Others weren't so lucky and had to make up all their missed days.

I wouldn't mind making up for days I missed, but I would find it irritating if they deny my requests for time off to attend interviews.

Agreed. By my fourth interview I was burnt out,I had been on the road for 4 months doing auditions and an additional six weeks doing easy rotations to use as a way to get off for interviews(which totally didn't work since the majority of my allo invites landed after this on a 2 month longer IM rotation.... )

The funny thing is my number 1 was at a site I didn't even rotate lol. Amazing how the process works out

Agreed. By my fourth interview I was burnt out,I had been on the road for 4 months doing auditions and an additional six weeks doing easy rotations to use as a way to get off for interviews(which totally didn't work since the majority of my allo invites landed after this on a 2 month longer IM rotation.... )

The funny thing is my number 1 was at a site I didn't even rotate lol. Amazing how the process works out

That happened a lot with my class. I mean once you get the match letter it all seems worth it, but at some point you realize that you spent all those months trying to kiss ass on auditions, only to match at a place you didn't rotate, a little voice goes off in your head saying "that was a waste of time".

Honestly how can interviews not be an excuse? Blows my mind! Does the school want you to not match? Do they want their match rate to go down? Also, how can rotations care. "Lulz no you're not allowed to interview for your first job as a doctor because we're teaching you to be a doctor."

I know it was pretty stupid. For students in this competitive age, the residency interview and by extension the Match is the whole point of the four year trek. I think a lot of the administration still come from that age where you got a residency at the scrub sink when the PD was like "hey so do you want the spot or not?"

Luckily 95% of all rotations understand the name of the game.

Did any of you guys find that using a credit card with airline miles was useful at all in saving money? Were you able to redeem any free flights?

Did any of you guys find that using a credit card with airline miles was useful at all in saving money? Were you able to redeem any free flights?

Yep. I used a delta skymiles to do this. I charged the tuition on the card then paid it back(started this 1st year) with the initial bonus plus tuition payment miles I was able to go on almost all of my interviews and ended up only spending less than a grand on plane tickets(probably 500-700).

I also checked my credit reports to see and the delta skymiles was no longer on it so I then got an spg and charged enough to get the bonus with that and I was able to swing the majority of hotels for very cheap or free. I even have enough left to use in atlanta to just hang out in a few weeks.

I wouldn't recommend this unless you can pay the balance off.

Those that tolerate absences, how many days off do they allow you to take off for every scheduled interview?

Most places care that you match, not necessarily where you match. My school officially gives a whopping 10 days of 4th year for interviews, and you're limited to taking no more than 5 days off per rotation. Add to it that most interviews, social activities, traveling etc. will take at least 2 days per interview, that's like a max of 5 interviews (and if you don't schedule it right its more like 4). That's probably enough for you to match somewhere, just not necessarily where you want to be. I guess you could always try and use your vacation month, but a lot of people use that for more auditions.

That said everyone I know gets around it by talking directly with their preceptor, calling in sick, etc. Its something I'm not looking forward to figuring out.

Well I did it for four years. I couldn't understand why you couldn't? Or is it because my school is attached to an undergrad school I wonder?

I think this might be a school specific policy. Some do, some don't. It could also depend on exactly how much you are actually charging to the CC, but it'd be nice to get CB/miles on your card for the thousands in loan money you're taking out.

That's one hell of a credit line you've got

Lol. It's high but let me add the caveat- I had a high paying professional career before medical school. I assume there are kids in my class with MUCH higher amounts that I could only imagine. Also I am very frugal with money.

Lol. It's high but let me add the caveat- I had a high paying professional career before medical school. I assume there are kids in my class with MUCH higher amounts that I could only imagine. Also I am very frugal with money.
I'm really liking this use credit card/pay off immediately with student loans idea... might as well make my med school debt "work" for me.

Yeah, that's a new one. Except I think for my school you don't get charged until after they've applied the loans. We've tried many ways to maximize the card. Can't pay rent or car note. There goes the big ticket items. I CAN'T WAIT TO GET A REAL JOB!!!!

Yeah, that's a new one. Except I think for my school you don't get charged until after they've applied the loans. We've tried many ways to maximize the card. Can't pay rent or car note. There goes the big ticket items. I CAN'T WAIT TO GET A REAL JOB!!!!

Can you attempt to prepay x amount a couple of weeks prior to the loans being added to the bill?

OP is not even a med student yet. Cmon.

Doesn't hurt to be proactive and aware of future expenses, especially when your loans are barely enough to survive on as a single person, let alone a family.

Doesn't hurt to be proactive and aware of future expenses, especially when your loans are barely enough to survive on as a single person, let alone a family.

Agreed. As someone with a family, I know for a fact money becomes a LOT more important.

does your significant other plan to work while you are in school?

does your significant other plan to work while you are in school?

My wife will be enrolled in school as well (non-medical field). Although her financial aid helps closing the gap between my loans and our expenses, our finances will still be tight and there will be very little room for unanticipated expenses (ie. travel and lodging costs of rotations and interviews). Someone suggest that I check with the FA office at my school and see if there are ways to expand the budget to accommodate these needs, and I think that will be my best course of action.

My wife will be enrolled in school as well (non-medical field). Although her financial aid helps closing the gap between my loans and our expenses, our finances will still be tight and there will be very little room for unanticipated expenses (ie. travel and lodging costs of rotations and interviews). Someone suggest that I check with the FA office at my school and see if there are ways to expand the budget to accommodate these needs, and I think that will be my best course of action.
Yes I have heard of this as an option for families with children. We tried to put aside what seemed like a lot of cash before school began but after moving etc and expenses here and there our savings is almost depleted. Fortunately my tax return just came and that will take me through the summer I hope. I only borrowed a few thousand to live on because my s/o is still working while taking limited classes. We are able to make it work by living within our means, but we don't have any dependents other than a canine. I hope it works out for you!