Residency match in California

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lisozoa

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all, congrats to all those who matched in EM programs today.

Secondly, I watched the 4th years match today and became a little concerned. I desperately want to go back to California for an EM residency. Can anyone tell me how hard is it and how important it is to be in AOA?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are from a US Med School and have done reasonably well, your chances should be good. Not to say that FMG and DO candidates don't match there, but it's just more difficult. If you reveal some of your med school numbers and board scores, it would be easier to assist you. If you really want to go back to California and are worried about not being AOA or not scoring 250 on the boards or not being top 10% of your class, I would do the following: 1. Make sure to apply at every program in California. There are a couple of programs that aren't all that competitive (Drew in LA County and possibly Kern in Bakersfield: although Drew is in one of the roughest parts of LA and Bakersfield is Bakersfield). 2. Make sure you have a well rounded and complete application. Although things like research aren't usually what ED applicants like to do (I didn't do any in med school), those are the things that help create a well rounded application and sure wouldn't hurt in the more academic centers like UCLA-Olive View. 3. Apply early: get your stuff ready and have your app in during the first or second week of August (it can only help you to have your app in right out of the gates). 4. Do EM rotations at a couple of the places that you want to go and do well. 5. You've already heard all the stuff about board scores, LOR's, clinical grades, etc. so I won't emphasize the obvious. 6. You don't need to be AOA.

Any other questions, I would be happy to try to help.

My stats: Hope this helps you: I matched at my first choice in Phoenix, AZ, but I got interviews at 4 Cali programs: Stanford, UCSF-Fresno, Kern-Bakersfield and Drew in LA. I believe that I could have gone to Cali if I wanted, but Maricopa has too fantastic of a program and Phoenix is where I wanted to be. I wasn't AOA and didn't do any research. My board scores were 228 and 242. I am at Wake Forest and was in about the 20th percentile of my class.

Reactions: 1 user
I matched in California a few years back. I was neither AOA nor in the top fourth of my class. For a few more research oriented places (Davis, UCLA/Olive View, UCSD) , higher academic ranking, research and medical pedigree were emphasized. As previously mentioned, a few places don't really require AOA. Drew went unfilled this year and in my year. Kern's residency is about 40% DO. USC, Fresno, and Kern all have fairly light criteria for interviewing people. The most important thing if you really want to match somewhere is to do a rotation there and get to know if you like the place or not. Keep in mind that even though Drew went unfilled, it doesn't mean that it's easy to get a spot there. Residency programs selection criteria is just as arbitrary as medical school was.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I matched in California a few years back. I was neither AOA nor in the top fourth of my class. For a few more research oriented places (Davis, UCLA/Olive View, UCSD) , higher academic ranking, research and medical pedigree were emphasized. As previously mentioned, a few places don't really require AOA. Drew went unfilled this year and in my year. Kern's residency is about 40% DO. USC, Fresno, and Kern all have fairly light criteria for interviewing people. The most important thing if you really want to match somewhere is to do a rotation there and get to know if you like the place or not. Keep in mind that even though Drew went unfilled, it doesn't mean that it's easy to get a spot there. Residency programs selection criteria is just as arbitrary as medical school was.