Residency on OPT (F-1 visa)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hilucy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone has completed their residency while on OPT or planning to do it. Is it possible? Any thoughts/comments are appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Possible if you can find anyone wants to deal with you. Most likely you won't find one, and you will have to go back to your home country after desperately looking for a OPT/H1B job. This aint 2006 no more.

Possible if you can find anyone wants to deal with you. Most likely you won't find one, and you will have to go back to your home country after desperately looking for a OPT/H1B job. This aint 2006 no more.
Thanks for your post. Do you know someone who has done this or are you speaking out of personal experience? I wonder how much trouble the company has to go through. If I commit in dealing with the paperwork all by myself, will the company be more willing to hire me?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your post. Do you know someone who has done this or are you speaking out of personal experience? I wonder how much trouble the company has to go through. If I commit in dealing with the paperwork all by myself, will the company be more willing to hire me?

If you can find unethical company, they might let you do that. H1B sponsor can not be initiated/paid by the employee, the employer has to pay for your application and lawyer fees. But, independents might be willing to overlook this to hire you at low pay and commit the illegal act by letting you pay all costs.

Residency probably not...all the ones I looked at said "NO VISAS, must have right to work."

Residency probably not...all the ones I looked at said "NO VISAS, must have right to work."
To my understanding, if you have OPT, you have a right to work, the card said "employment authorization" or something similar.

I personally know a friend of my doing residency with OPT, then got a job at a different hospital with h1b approved.

I personally know a friend of my doing residency with OPT, then got a job at a different hospital with h1b approved.

Yep, back in 2008, 2 of my friends did that. Your chance doing this now in 2014 is slim, but good luck nonetheless.

I did not do residency but I got my h1b approval as well due to working for the government.
Hi 5minutes, thank you for your reply! Would you mind if I message you about your friend's and your cases? I would much appreciate!!

I don't really know detail about my friend but it is totally possible to get residency done as long as your OPT period cover the entire residency training. Also, another good strategy is to sign up for a staffing company that provide H1b sponsorship. A simple google search may bring a few good choices.

I don't really know detail about my friend but it is totally possible to get residency done as long as your OPT period cover the entire residency training. Also, another good strategy is to sign up for a staffing company that provide H1b sponsorship. A simple google search may bring a few good choices.
What did you mean by staffing company? May I ask what company sponsored your h1b?

Staffing company is a company hire you to do contract for other jobs. I can't share you what company sponsored me but with a simple search you can find a few of them.

Staffing company is a company hire you to do contract for other jobs. I can't share you what company sponsored me but with a simple search you can find a few of them.
I have tried searching but there was no good entries coming up when I tried "staffing company, pharmacist, h1b visa." May I ask if you are still on h1b visa or have you been able to obtain a green card? If so, what country are you from? Thank you so much for all your replies, I really appreciate them!