Residency outside of NYC ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Morphea

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have thoughts on doing a residency in the middle of nowhere, if you are single? Let's say the program is "better" in a "less desirable" area, but 80% of residents there are married and the rest do not care to become married? Also I am not attracted to a fat woman or a woman who does not cook. And I do not consider pizza in a microwave to be cooking. or ordering Chinese food. Or granola bars.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure what kind of "thoughts" you are looking for by posting this. The immediate thought that comes to mind is the same I have when virtually anybody from NYC opens their big mouth: The world does not revolve around NYC, and if you think this, you should probably stay there. Because those of us who don't live in NYC get annoyed rather quickly when a NYC transplant moves to "bumblef*ck" (which seems to be their favorite phrase for anywhere not on the lower 2/3rds of Manhattan) and totally shuns the local culture by dressing like an idiot and constantly reminding/telling everyone how great NYC is. The funny thing is, these people almost universally are not actually from NYC, yet call themselves "new yorkers." So my thoughts? Stay put where you can have a steady stream of anorexic insecure 30-ish midwestern wanna-be manhattanites eager to put up with your abusive attitudes in exchange for the entertainment you can provide them with the bank account set up for you and the delusional idea that you might one day marry them and buy a 2 bedroom condo for 1.5 million.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure what kind of "thoughts" you are looking for by posting this. The immediate thought that comes to mind is the same I have when virtually anybody from NYC opens their big mouth: The world does not revolve around NYC, and if you think this, you should probably stay there. Because those of us who don't live in NYC get annoyed rather quickly when a NYC transplant moves to "bumblef*ck" (which seems to be their favorite phrase for anywhere not on the lower 2/3rds of Manhattan) and totally shuns the local culture by dressing like an idiot and constantly reminding/telling everyone how great NYC is. The funny thing is, these people almost universally are not actually from NYC, yet call themselves "new yorkers." So my thoughts? Stay put where you can have a steady stream of anorexic insecure 30-ish midwestern wanna-be manhattanites eager to put up with your abusive attitudes in exchange for the entertainment you can provide them with the bank account set up for you and the delusional idea that you might one day marry them and buy a 2 bedroom condo for 1.5 million.

Well played.

Isn't anywhere outside NYC considered the wastelands?

I come back and read this everytime I come into this forum. It's amazing how restrictive some applicants from NYC I've met on the interview trail seem to be regarding the rest of the country. Even the thought about picking a location over a specialty seems blasphemous to me.

I come back and read this everytime I come into this forum. It's amazing how restrictive some applicants from NYC I've met on the interview trail seem to be regarding the rest of the country. Even the thought about picking a location over a specialty seems blasphemous to me.

As someone who trained in NYC I def do agree, there is a lot of egocentrism there, perhaps related to justifying living in such an expensive, jaded environment...with that said, if one is socially active (and unattached), it does offer a lot of opportunities